Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thing you miss most about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

:) Well after the summer I've had here I'd love a bit of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

A bit of rain? Take all you want. It's lashing right now. Miserable, wintry night. It's not even September yet. Everyone is cranky and depressed again. Ah well, roll on next summer (all two weeks of it :( )

Ah the depression, listening to the radio and people ringing into Ray D'arcy all the time, memories hehe. I'd love a bit of small town Irish gossip, none such happenings here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Well, curtain twitching is the national pastime:D
    With regards to chips. Mmmm. Now I'm hungry.

Got the rain I wanted, lashing today and a few clatters of thunder. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

In france almost a week now, i am missing miller, rain, family and drunken walks on grafton street. i also miss being understodd cos my french is crap :(

Wilburt wrote:
    In france almost a week now, i am missing miller, rain, family and drunken walks on grafton street. i also miss being understodd cos my french is crap :(

Oh I'm sure there is plenty of nice, clean streets for you to walk on in France, Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tall Tom

Just remembered, I miss Lilt soda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 motormatic

Tall Tom wrote:
    Just remembered, I miss Lilt soda.

yeah, lilt is good. going back in four weeks, i can't wait to have soda bread. mmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Coppers!!!! (seriously, just joking)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shatanash

Hey!!

I'm a french intruder :p I lived for mostly 2 years in Ireland and I can say that I miss the musicians in Temple Bar...It was great to see artists playing in the streets, and some were so good!!! You don't see it in France :(

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Cream Crackers - I cant find them here!!

Rashers and sausages, proper Irish style.

Butter! whats with the US butter! rotten stuff.

Bulmers which has been mentioned but with the heat it would be lovely right now....mmmmm

Friends and Family........the yanks are fine but you cant beat the Irish craic.

I'm all sad now, I'm a home bird. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 keano10

for me it was Tayto and a proper irish fry on a Sunday morning!

murfie wrote:
    Cream Crackers - I cant find them here!!

Rashers and sausages, proper Irish style.

Butter! whats with the US butter! rotten stuff.

Bulmers which has been mentioned but with the heat it would be lovely right now....mmmmm

Friends and Family........the yanks are fine but you cant beat the Irish craic.

I'm all sad now, I'm a home bird. :o

Its not right at all, give me Flora and Denny any day of the week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

I was thinking more like connacht gold, but flora will do! I have a hangover today so a big plate of Denny would go down nicely alright! AHH i want to go home!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

I miss having my family and friends close by. I miss proper chocolate, without all the anti melting **** they put in it here. Barrys Tea. Eddie Rockets. But there are plenty of things here that make up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AOGAOG

cant believe nobody mentioned buckfast

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Probably already mentioned, but Lennox's chips on Bandon Road in Cork. Going home for a few days just after Christmas, and that will be the first stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

For food/drink, I just miss Curried Chips, Cidona, barm brack for halloween. Thats about it. The other stuff like Barrys Tea, Taytos, Chocolate and Hob Nobs I can get at my local Stop 'N Shop.

Obviously I miss my family but I also miss walking up and down Shop Street in Galway on a Saturday afternoon. Don't miss the nightlife tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wellingtonia

Lyons tea. Big time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

What I miss the most has definitely got to be sausages, balck & white pudding, rashers, proper tea bags and Taytos.

(That seems to be what most Irish people miss the most)

Oh yeah, and a daycint pint of Smitwicks

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Why is it that so many fellas dont miss irish women and so many women miss irish fellas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

Why is it that so many fellas dont miss irish women and so many women miss irish fellas??

probably because theres so many irish men and women about the place. we are feckin everywhere:)

the thing that i missed most when i was away was prok sausages, club orange, taytos and a bit of stew. ya cant bate an auld home cooked stew!
    also missed goin into croke park and watchin the gaa

I just got back from my trip home, nearly 24 hrs travelling makes Ruu a sleepy boy. :) Had a great time but 5 days wasn't long enough. Ah well, there will be others. Nothing has changed at home anyway, me Mam had the gossip for me when I arrived. It was of course that Supervalu had got in brand new checkout scanners. ;) I brought back a full suitcase of about 200 tea bags and a couple of six packs of assorted crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Was only out of the country for a couple of weeks recently, but I could've murdered for a decent cuppa by the time I came home:p

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

LMAO, this thread I keep coming back to, it always makes me laugh, god the things we miss, and a lot of us miss the same things. Down here in VA I cant seem to locate any Irish foods so my dear old Aunt in New York just sent me down a big box of Lyons Tea, Chocolate Kimberely, Hob Nobs, Knorr Parsley sauce and a selection of Erin soups, good on ya woman. Needless to say the biscuits are gone and I'm sitting here now with a hot cup of Lyons tea.

After trying a number of different butters here I have settled on Parkay, its not to bad at all but it will never be Dairygold and thats for sure, and before my Aunt sent the Lyons tea I had found Twinnings Irish breakfast tea in our local store $3 for a box of 20 but it did the trick.

No Guinness to be found anywhere here except for the canned stuff and no self respecting Guinness drinker would touch that stuff, but I have bought a four pack LMAO just so I can pop the can and smell the aroma after that it goes down the sink, I know I am crazy.

I miss the Irish accent and our sayings, I find I say things here to my work mates and find I have to reword it as they just dont get it, sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kushy

what a great thread!!

i miss proper irish breakfasts for sure, guinness (cos its just not the same here!), lennox bandon road in cork and dairy products. milk here is all 1% or 2% crap. butter is not that bad actually, i get the "i cant believe its not butter" stuff here and also most cadburys chocolate is here now too. and i've just found some cheese and onion crisps in the shop last week so i'm well chuffed with that! also i would miss the tea but me mam keeps sending it over by the barrel full so i'm sorted for that.

i do miss irish tv too just because the ads are endless over here. every 2 min there's a break!!
    going home for christmas so will attend to all of me longings post-haste :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

not the tea coz i got them but old, familiar faces...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

in lyon now almost 4 months, dont miss my family cos i got skype and a webcam. I certainly dont miss irish transport system :)
    ive my supply of barrys tea with me, so no harm done there.
    I do miss walking down grafton street and bumping into someone i know and chattin for half an hour :) and street performers, theyre far and few between but hopefully fete des lumieres will solve it this thursday! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

I remember after a week in Sweden having the mother and father of cravings for!!!!!!

Quarter ponder from Enzos in Ennis (cheese no tomatoes)

For some reason no other would do

Live fast and make sure to leave a heavy corps:)

Advertisement