Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thing you miss most about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

kushy wrote:
    also i would miss the tea but me mam keeps sending it over by the barrel full so i'm sorted for that.

hi Kushy,

If you're in Toronto, then there is no need to miss tea - Dominion at Yonge and Eglinton stock Barry's Tea. (And the Red Rose tea is pretty passable anyway.) Dominion also stock Ribena, which is something I never drink at home but missed while I was away!

And the Sugar Mountain store across the street have most kinds of chocolate from home.

Galaxy was the chocolate I missed most while I was away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

kushy wrote:
    what a great thread!!

i miss proper irish breakfasts for sure, guinness (cos its just not the same here!), lennox bandon road in cork and dairy products. milk here is all 1% or 2% crap. butter is not that bad actually, i get the "i cant believe its not butter" stuff here and also most cadburys chocolate is here now too. and i've just found some cheese and onion crisps in the shop last week so i'm well chuffed with that! also i would miss the tea but me mam keeps sending it over by the barrel full so i'm sorted for that.

i do miss irish tv too just because the ads are endless over here. every 2 min there's a break!!
    going home for christmas so will attend to all of me longings post-haste :D

I was over in November and brought back 2 boxes of 80 tea bags, should keep me going for a few months anyway, the mammeh sends some when I'm out because I can't stand the Twinnings stuff they have here, not the same. Big tea fan here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

kushy wrote:
    i miss proper irish breakfasts for sure, guinness (cos its just not the same here!), lennox bandon road in cork and dairy products. milk here is all 1% or 2% crap. butter is not that bad actually, i get the "i cant believe its not butter" stuff here and also most cadburys chocolate is here now too. and i've just found some cheese and onion crisps in the shop last week so i'm well chuffed with that! also i would miss the tea but me mam keeps sending it over by the barrel full so i'm sorted for that.
    So let's see, you miss Irish Breakfasts, Guinness, dairy products, cadburys chocolate, crisps....

...sounds like you should be missing a good auld Irish Deflibrilator too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 motormatic

aniascor wrote:

If you're in Toronto, then there is no need to miss tea - Dominion at Yonge and Eglinton stock Barry's Tea. (And the Red Rose tea is pretty passable anyway.) QUOTE]

Are you serious? I had no idea! And I just ran out of what I brought back with me from my last trip............you've got no idea how happy that makes me. Still going to get the old auntie to send over some Lyons though:) I'm going to go to that Dominion tomorrow after work, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

I miss the way Irish people are so nice, easygoing and gregarious. While talking too much can be annoying to some, most Irish folks know how to hold the interest of the listener. And the accent! Oh I love that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

The only thing I miss is the pubscene. Not as good in Canadia, although there's some decent ones.
    Things I miss least are scangers, rip-off prices, grey weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Curried chip and a battered sausage.

Nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cupid Stunt

I miss YOP! New Zealanders just don't know what they're missing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh man, just saw this thread! yep, i have lyons teabags and kelkin popcorn in the post to me now. dilmah tea, wtf?!

thign i miss most though is understandign what people are saying the first time, and not having to repeat myself. particularly the kiwi accent, if you ever listen to it, they kinda change the vowel sounds a lot, i think the best examples being the 'arguments' we have over conversations where i swear i thought he was talking about a band called the chicks, and i got confused cos they were all dudes, and it eventually turend out that they were called the 'checks'. kiwis just can't do vowels. also my friend 'jen' and the drink 'gin'. in an irish accent... they are *not* the same word.

im getting better at translating though, but was in a room of my fella and his family the other day, and conversation was flowing,a nd it was so hard following it. not to mention i've had to half the speed i talk at if i want anyone here to understand me.

oh. and farmhouse batch bread. i was quite fond of irish pride's wholegrain bread with the farmhouse crust. mmm...

none of that here htough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Man I would kill for a pint of Smithwicks now! Guinness is so expensive here and it's hard to find it on draft. Of course it doesn't taste the same as back home either. Oh and applie pie too. Oh and the Sunday papers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

When I was in canada over the summe for 3 months I was having serious cravings for jacob's fig rolls and mikado.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

In Oz 2 months now, only thing I miss is my GF :(

Shes here in a week and then life will be perfect.....:D

..........Until the Oz honeymoon ends , as Im sure it will........:(

...........But if it does I can go home !:D

.........But then home wont be sunny :(

Lack of normal routine make me crazy ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

1huge1 wrote: »
    When I was in canada over the summe for 3 months I was having serious cravings for jacob's fig rolls and mikado.

oh... *drooool*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

I miss the sense of community. I miss the small population and upheld reputation keeping you honest. The urban area I live in now has 5.4 million people...compared to the 200,000 around Cork. I used to go to Insomnia in Cork and they would know what drink to pour, as opposed to here with the Starbucks drive through that appears every mile on main roads that have a different person working every time I go.

I am always surprised at the Irish influence in the states...and yes, you can tell the difference between the beers. I'm pretty sure all Guinness is made in Dublin, I just think it depends on the amount of time it is aged. There is a pub in my town that was actually built in Waterford at a Guinness approved pub builder...shipped here and assembled by the same people. Their Guinness tastes better than any other bar around - but they charge exorbitant prices.

My parents now have a place in Canada that is extremely Celtic - it's full of Irish and Scots. Good service at stores, a downtown with botiques, and a "Celtic Festival" every year to celebrate the heritage. A lot of the people even have the accents. It's nice to be able to get up there and relax for a weekend.

...I can (easily) get a ticket on KLM for $650 from Detroit to Cork with a stop in Amsterdam (same price for Dublin). The stop-over isn't bad though - it gives me time for lunch with good people-watching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I can't believe the things people miss... you can get tea anywhere in the world there's hardly that much difference between the tea in canada and the tea in ireland? Or the bloody crisps!! Anywhere I've lived the food is generally better than at home apart from one or two things like carvery, and the Italian restaurants here are ****e too. All I miss is the Dublin Guinness and the ability to go away to Europe for weekends whenever I want. Weigh up the pros and cons, here I live on the beach can go surfing every day and get a nice sunny summer and there are tonnes of activities and strangers are friendly. At home we don't get a summer and there's not that much to do apart from drink, especially if you live in Dublin. I know where I'd rather be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Haven't really missed anything yet, it's only been two months though so maybe soon...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What made you choose to move to Romania, rkm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I can't believe the things people miss... you can get tea anywhere in the world there's hardly that much difference between the tea in canada and the tea in ireland? Or the bloody crisps!! Anywhere I've lived the food is generally better than at home apart from one or two things like carvery, and the Italian restaurants here are ****e too. All I miss is the Dublin Guinness and the ability to go away to Europe for weekends whenever I want. Weigh up the pros and cons, here I live on the beach can go surfing every day and get a nice sunny summer and there are tonnes of activities and strangers are friendly. At home we don't get a summer and there's not that much to do apart from drink, especially if you live in Dublin. I know where I'd rather be.

oh there certainly is, it's brownish pisswater. The one bad thing about Canada really, the tea.
    Coffee was lovely.

Faith wrote: »
    What made you choose to move to Romania, rkm?

a girl

Love the name change, mordy!

We brought our own tea to California with us this summer. The boys used go to the local bagel/doughnut shop for breakfast and jut get pots of hot water. The waitress was a bit bemused by our insistance that their tea wasn't a patch on ours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Hard to believe that two generations of irish people have grown up since i left ireland .Will be on return be confronted by a nation of complete strangers but in a nice way of course .:)

Faith wrote: »
    Love the name change, mordy!

Tell that to asok, he's the bastard who changed it without telling me :)

MordÜff wrote: »

Haha, looks cool though.

MordÜff wrote: »

regi changed psi's name too - seems to be the popular thing!

maybe it looks cool, but I have to find a post I made and copy my nick before I can log in.. I don't know how to type that 'U' :/

Hold down alt and then 0220 on the keypad - must be keypad, not the numbers above the letters, turn on num-lock if needs be. that concludes todays lesson.

Ü

Ü

MordÜff

hrm

it's going to take many many years before that feels natural, but thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

DesF wrote: »
    Proper Bulmers Cider, not that Magners crap.

Are they not the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Are they not the same?
    No you see one is in a black can of cider with "Bulmers" written on the side, the other is completly different, its a black can of cider with "Magners" written on the side. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Ha!
    They are from the same brewery. They have had to change it to magners in the UK and some countries in europe (and the us I think) because of copyright issues. There is a bulmers cider in the uk that is nothing to do with the irish version.

So afaik it is the same pish but different packaging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magners
    Its all in the mind really.

Advertisement