Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thing you miss most about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

After a year a way I miss a fair few things -

1. Guinness down the local with the boys on a Friday
    2. A decent astro turf soccer match midweek
    3. A nice cold Carlsberg
    4. Premiership at a good hour
    5. Champions League - 4am kick offs are never good on work days
    6. Mates in general.

Still not enough to make me wanna go back though (well maybe for a 'refresher' holiday)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

1. Guinness down the local with the boys on a Friday
    This is what me & another guy from my hometown living in Kuopio said too. Unfortunately we didn't find out about each other until we were both here for a few years, now we have gotten used to the quiet Finnish lifestyle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i really miss how i understand what most people say the first time around. started work now, and my boss would give me instructions, speaking quickly, and using words like 'nappysans' (which i put down to an accent while trying to figure out what she was actually saying), when what i would have said was 'vanish' (like the cleaner stuff). or 'jersey' meaning jumper/jacket/normal jersey. ( it's not just me, right? a jersey is related to sports, right?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irishaway

Kilmeaden Cheese. Not being able to understand german doesnt help, some of the stuff i bought has been awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

I miss the women. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I miss the women. :(

are you serious? not trying to start anything here, but lots of Irish women could do with going abroad to see the standard they are up against. Big fish in a small pond here so they are.
    Im sure they will say the same about Irish men, so lol lol and f**king lol. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I will ban anyone who starts ranting about Irish women and men here. This is an advance warning; you will be permanently banned from this forum if I read any negative comments about Irish people.

Barry, take this as a warning. I'm not going to ban you but do not bring it up again.

i guess my old light heartiness doesn't cross over on the internet...

point taken, i wont bring it up again, so id better say NOTHING about Edinburgh last weekend....:( ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Absolutely nothing ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Yis have me in tears reading this...why is there no crying smilie, sob sob sob.

There's so much I miss I can't even begin to say but it may be only romanticising.
    I do know that I miss my family more than anything though.

• Advertisement

Norinoco wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing ...

nope.nada.niente about antipodean women :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It's been a while since I posted here :) Well, the thing I miss most is my friends. I was hom again last weekend at a wedding and reminded of just how much I love spending time with them.

Other than that I can do without Tayto and Guinness, thanks to the whole Boards Summer Beach Body Challenge :D

having started surfing and actually made some good mates.... im missing home less and less now. in fact... i couldnt imagine going back right now... which i never imagined not being able to imagine... heh... only took 3 months.

*flies kiwi flag*

:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I miss being able to walk around Dublin without seeing culchie backpackers all over the place in GAA jerseys... Unlike Melbourne ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lundegaard

I live in South America, originally from Dublin.......I most miss battered sausages, donor kebabs, snackboxes, proper chipper chips, curry, a good fry with a hangover on a sunday morning and silly things like the sun newspaper, nuts/zoo, watching RTE football, seeing my breath as I breathe into the cold winter air....

The common things i dont miss at all are Guinness, Tayto and Irish girls...

But one day I think i'll return.....I love Ireland even though there are so many gob****es and tossers there. but it has great food and a great social life....so one day...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billy the Kid98

Definitly chipper chips, battered burgers, yop, twisters, mainly food and drinks.

chipper chips here are good... but they're missing something. i cant figure out what's different. but something is... plus, omg, i cant believe i didnt mention this sooner.... none of them are open late at weekends... it's all mcdonalds and burger kings... no chippers in the city, and localised ones close early.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

chipper chips here are good... but they're missing something. i cant figure out what's different. but something is... plus,

Where are you living? I've found it impossible to get decent chippers chips in East Anglia. Englands is supposed to be the home of fish & chips but so far I'm severely underwhelmed!! Of course, now that I'm doing the Boards Fitness Challenge I shouldn't care...but I do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Where are you living? I've found it impossible to get decent chippers chips in East Anglia. Englands is supposed to be the home of fish & chips but so far I'm severely underwhelmed!! Of course, now that I'm doing the Boards Fitness Challenge I shouldn't care...but I do! :)

Them southern jesses ain't got a clue when it comes to the ancient art of fish and chips. If you ever get up Yorkshire way, dude you'll be in feckin' hog heaven..

r3nu4l wrote: »

im in new zealand. they're huge on their fish n chips here. pretty good on having vegetarian options at chippers too, and gluten free and healthier oil too. now that i think of it, that's probably the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've decided on another thing I miss - RTE's football coverage. I missed the whole Brady thing last week and had to rely on bloody youtube videos uploaded hours later. Bill, Giles, Eamo and Brady are the best in the biz.

No such thing as a chipper in Perth. It's all MaccyD's, Hungry Jack's (the WA name for Burger King and Asian cuisine. I'd love a Macari's.......

lol yeah, i insisted on taking a photo of hungry jack's. that one baffled me. then the whole 'which name is better' debate began.

and now that you mention it... i miss the hurling. used to love watching it on tg4, and then on rte as the matches got bigger, but havent seen it in ages now. kinda given up following it altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

NZ fish and chips are awesome. The chips usually aren't as good as our own but in some places you can get really good ones. The fish is way better. In fact the cost and range of fish in Ireland is appauling compared to Oz/NZ. Try a bit of Kingfish someday, plenty of them in the Bay of Plenty, we used to catch them on charter boats and they feed you for weeks. Best fish you'll ever taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No such thing as a chipper in Perth. It's all MaccyD's, Hungry Jack's (the WA name for Burger King and Asian cuisine. I'd love a Macari's.......

You need some more immigants over that way then.

Some decent chippers in Melbourne although still not as good as home. I too would kill for a Macari's. Chips are pretty crap over here but again the fish is usually great. They've never even heard of a battered sausage though and you should see people's faces when you mention batter burgers. :)

Some absolutely fantastic kebab shops though.

yep, kebabs and souvlakis and fish are really big over here. not a big fisheater though, so have yet to try some fish from the chipper, but intend to eventually (though i did my week's shopping earlier, and bought... two oranges. i now have an account balance of 80c, so wont be buyin anything not strictly necessary for a while...). we usually get a pizza at dominos, and while that's ordering, go and get our chips.

chips vary hugely, had some absolutely incredible chips (most memorable were in akaroa), and some pretty crap ones, but kinda have fave chippers about sussed out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Think its gotta be friends and the social life, the prices though dont miss those at all! Can't say there is much else, enjoy my life here far more than Dublin.

i missed this so much today. for no good reason but that i was thirsty and it wasnt there.
    freshmilk-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sausages. Rashers. Black Pudding. Chickens have been on overdrive, and we have about 25 eggs in the fridge, and I don't want any of them because I have no sausages, rashers or back pudding to go with them. :(

haha, as a hopeless unimaginative veggie, eggs are the closest i tend to come to to a hot meal... egg sandwich or boiled eggs. send em over here! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Sausages. Rashers. Black Pudding. Chickens have been on overdrive, and we have about 25 eggs in the fridge, and I don't want any of them because I have no sausages, rashers or back pudding to go with them. :(

If you have a bit of a backyard or a section of field, why don't you fence it off and keep a pig in it? Serious question. They are great disposal units for whatever food doesn't get eaten in the house, and you'd know what you'd be feeding it as well.

Advertisement