Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al Jazeera, Media Power and Politics

Options
  • 25-04-2006 4:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

My lecturer has assigned us an essay with the wonderfully broad title "Examine the inter-reliant relationship between politics and media in society" with the caveat that it must cover one of the topics touched on in class. I've chosen to use Al Jazeera news station for mine. 2000 words. So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or recomendations. Wikipedia has a nice article on Al Jazeera, and I've seen the documentary "Control Room", but I need some paper references for the essay, so if someone could refer me to any useful books or articles that'd great.

Also, in typical me-fashion, I've left it until the last minute, so I'll be checking this thread Tuesday night, getting materials Wednesday day, and writing it Wednesday afternoon/evening/night, so don't hesitate if you have any ideas. That also means that a single concise chapter in a book would be more useful than an entire publication, as I don't really have much time.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Interesting article in the current issue of Foreign Affairs about Quatar which features a section on Al Jazeera in the Arab world, etc.

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/sponsored_sections/country_focus/qatar/

Hope this is of some help ?

What course you doing, sounds interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The course is Audio Visual Communications, the class is Media Ploitics.

/runs to the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anton pillar

yeah i would try looking close to irish media to find some really bizarre tolerance towards rubbish media. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Are you saying al jazeera is rubbish? As far as i can see it's more truthful and investigative than any american tv station, so much so that it has been repeatedly attacked by the United States.

Advertisement