Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nokia car kit query

Options
  • 25-04-2006 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I've just taken ownership of a 03 mazda 6 (and quite a happy man I am too).
    However, quick question re: Nokia car kits....
    The car is currently fitted out with a nokia cradle which is for the older style phones, Pic here -->

wgq62r.jpg

However, I have a Nokia 6230i. Is it a case of just buying a new cradle and wiring it into the existing kit ?
    If so, wheres the cheapest place to pick one up ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think it is possible. I just got the new kit installed in my car. Try www.cellularworld.ie

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

try www.carkits.ie it should be posible.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

If you want to DIY you can just buy a converter for your existing cradle. No need to go changing kits etc.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NOKIA-CARK-91-POP-PORT-CONVERTER-CRADLE-6230-6230i-UK_W0QQitemZ9716060796QQcategoryZ35191QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

heres a real one unlike the other one,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nokia-CR-39-Universal-In-Car-Cradle-N70-6230i-W800i-V3_W0QQitemZ9716597797QQcategoryZ35191QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

donot buy a cheapy one as it might not work properly as it happened before to a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

drdre wrote:
    heres a real one unlike the other one,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nokia-CR-39-Universal-In-Car-Cradle-N70-6230i-W800i-V3_W0QQitemZ9716597797QQcategoryZ35191QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

donot buy a cheapy one as it might not work properly as it happened before to a friend

That one looks like it is just a holder, and does not integrate into an existing car kit. Especially, as the Buy It Now price is only £14.95.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    That one looks like it is just a holder, and does not integrate into an existing car kit. Especially, as the Buy It Now price is only £14.95.

yes you are right,it can be got from carphone warehouse and other shops for around 50 euro.

drdre wrote:
    yes you are right,it can be got from carphone warehouse and other shops for around 50 euro.

Yeah, but I think the OP is looking to convert an existing cradle for what is presumably a properly integrated car kit. Otherwise a lump of Blu-tack would probably suffice to stick it to the dash.

Actually interested in this myself, my new motor has a Sony Ericsson Car kit which I am either going to have taken out altogether, or have the cradle replaced for a Nokia 6680.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

For which phone do you have the Sony Ericsson car kit?

I just bought a car that came with one of those old nokia car kits as described above as well. Is the wiring standard across all manufacturers, and could I just get a cradle for my Sony Ericsson P900 and hook it up to the existing wiring??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

To the OP, you are looking for the CA-55 wiring loom and the MBC-15S cradle for your phone. The loom plugs into the control box on the existing car kit and the cradle mounts on the same bracket. Will cost about €100 al in. carkits.ie or the like will do it no prob. 5 minute swapover.

spockety wrote:
    For which phone do you have the Sony Ericsson car kit?

I just bought a car that came with one of those old nokia car kits as described above as well. Is the wiring standard across all manufacturers, and could I just get a cradle for my Sony Ericsson P900 and hook it up to the existing wiring??

Don't know - it is a '00 car, and it could have been fitted at any time since then. I'd say it's a pretty old one though given the size of the cradle. I'm actually not sure if it's a Siemens or Sony Ericsson now I think about it, will have to check when I pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

trant wrote:
    If you want to DIY you can just buy a converter for your existing cradle. No need to go changing kits etc.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NOKIA-CARK-91-POP-PORT-CONVERTER-CRADLE-6230-6230i-UK_W0QQitemZ9716060796QQcategoryZ35191QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for all your prompt replies folks.
    I don't want to spend too much on this so might just go for the convertor mentioned above.
    Has anyone used these and found them reliable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

s8n wrote:

Yes - works well & reasonable sound quality.

excellent, might just give it a whirl so.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can get adaptors in Carphone Warehouse that click into the car kit and then your new phone clicks into the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That carkit pictured looks like a carc91. Not sure if it's as simple as a plug and play new cradle with them.

If not, try a bluetooth kit so that if you change your phone, you don't have to muck about with the kit. The only drawback is that most of them won't charge your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

its as simple as unplugging the cradle from the "brain" and plugging a new one in. I did it on my mothers car last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

colm_mcm wrote:
    its as simple as unplugging the cradle from the "brain" and plugging a new one in. I did it on my mothers car last year.

I think that it can depend on how old the kit is. I could, as usual, be completely wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I modified this propperly for my 6230i.

Nokia bits i used:
    1. http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=122445 (they have this one now too http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=128601)
    2. http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=MBC15-S
    3. http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=AXF-15S
    4. http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=DBS1

3 & 4 are optional but needed in order to boost the 6230i's signal

Wasnt cheap i did it ages ago and the prices are the same I see which I'm suprised at.

And the nice thing is if i change phone (im a Nokia person) i should only have to change part 2. I see now they have this which should suit you http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=CARK91_CONVERTER
    Took about 30 mins to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Hey s8n, My uncle is in a similar situation, bought a landcruiser which has the cradle that you want. It does the 6230i fone which is the fone i have. But my uncle has a 6310 and another ****ty fone that needs the old cradle which you seem to have.

Maybe we could swap cradles? Is that possible i wonder.

Ps: Does anyone know if there is a convertor cradle that would suit my uncles situation. I wouldnt imagine so as it would be considered a downgrade, (converting the newer type cradle to the older type) but maybe im thinking wrong.

would swapping the cradles work, cos if it does, I'm game ball.

• Advertisement

ids say you will need to switch out the units also but aerial speaker and mic should be ok to just switch over between units.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hey
    I had that old cradle for my old phone in a company car, The company changed mobile providers and we all got new nokia phones 6230's.
    The car-kit guys had to remove the complete car-kit and loom and re-install a new kit for the new phone.
    I think you may have to do the same I'm afaraid to say.
    Chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

What you have to replace is the cradle and the Control box and the end of the wiring loom that plugs into the control box if you guys are swapping bits. Mic & speaker can stay. I fitted this stuff for 3 years. its a handy enough job really. Good idea on swapping stuff if ye can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

As far as i know you have to only repalce the cradle. the "brain" should be fine. Alternativley just buy the extra piece required to slip into the cradle as mentioned on previous posts.

All new phones are now suppossed to be "pop port" compatibale so this means any new nokia phone will fit all nokia car kits with the pop port cradle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Hey s8n,
    How do you find the Mazda6 so far? Is it petrol?
    I've had one this last year, really satisfied with it. Pros are handling & looks. Cons are some of the dealers. Those accustomed to German cars find the steering too light but I think it's really direct.

pburns wrote:
    Hey s8n,
    How do you find the Mazda6 so far? Is it petrol?
    I've had one this last year, really satisfied with it. Pros are handling & looks. Cons are some of the dealers. Those accustomed to German cars find the steering too light but I think it's really direct.

It's a dream to drive. Steering is fantastic, and holds it's position on the road very well. It's the 1.8L petrol, but it's not too hard on the juice once I dont go too crazy on the right foot.
    I agree it's a fantastic looking car, I was lucky though, I bought mine from a mazda dealer who gave me a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

s8n wrote:
    Thanks for all your prompt replies folks.
    I don't want to spend too much on this so might just go for the convertor mentioned above.

I have the one sold my Carphonewarehouse, and it work fine most of the time.

Some times, when you put the phone in the adaptor, it does not recognoise the phone, and will not untill you put an old 6310i for a few moments, then it's fine for another few months.

I got it changed a few times to "cure" this problem, but no go, so it's either a general fault with the model, or a problem with the origional kit.

Advertisement