Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Male/Female Courtesy On the Roads

Options
  • 25-04-2006 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Quick poll... I have noticed over the last year or two that people are just not as considerate on the roads as the used to be - they couldn't be bothered giving you a nod/wave/lights if you show some kind of courtesy. Of course there are plenty of people who do. But from my experience, it seems that women are the worst offenders for this... Do they think that because they are female that we are supposed to be 'chivalrous' on the road too... I am not painting all women with the same brush though.... I just find that lads tend to give you more acknowledgement... What do ye think?

Who shows more courtesy on the roads 63 votes

Women
    0% 0 votes
    Men
    12% 8 votes
    Equal
    87% 55 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I agree women are the worst offenders especially on the school runs in the morning. This morning for example a lady who was dropping her kids of at school could have let me out of an industrial estate but no.

The gentleman behind her let me out - anyway got to the school which is 200m from the estate and drops the kids(2) off indicates in her huge MPV and just pulls out in front of me. All traffic was stationary and there is a lolly pop man on this one way road to let the kids cross.

I suppose she has a bigger car than my Astra so she pays more road tax and therefore has right of way in any situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

If you're letting a woman out at a junction, they tend to focus more on getting out quickly and safely than taking their hand off the wheel to wave or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yes,

I have noticed this also, women are less courteous, and if I try to work my way into a junction, women are more likely to actually proactively prevent me from getting out in front of them.

I think it is because when we are in cars, we are all equally strong, and it is like they have a point to prove???

Disclaimer: **there are also a lot of male azzhole drivers, and a lot of very considerate female drivers**

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

poll wrote:
    Who shows more courtesy on the roads
    Women
    Men
    Equal

neither???

L.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

RotalicaV wrote:
    If you're letting a woman out at a junction, they tend to focus more on getting out quickly and safely than taking their hand off the wheel to wave or anything like that.

I am back on the road with a car only two weeks now (having driven a bike for 10 years). I am spending more time making sure I don't crash/drive into something/someone than nodding a thanks, I use my indicators to say thanks, it's safer.
    manners wise, so far, I have found it nearly equal, I never needed to worry about this sort of thing on a bike, but you really need other people to have some manners when driving a car. It's not as bad as I expected it to be. I have found that it's women who will let me out onto the main road quicker than a bloke - would I be right in thinking that other women help out women and blokes tend to help out blokes? just guessing there... I may come back in 6 months with a different opinion. I am exceedingly nice to everyone on the road, that might also change... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Women are pure ignorant, they will block off every road and turn and then when your left sitting on the road because they have a yellow box blocked off they will just stare ahead and not acknowledge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I think SOME women are over cautious when driving and don't seem to think of the bigger picture eg if you leave a driver out at a junction it will make my turn into that junction easier.

On the other hand how many Male Taxi drivers going to a fare / White Van Drivers leave you out at a junction???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Big Nelly wrote:
    because they have a yellow box blocked off

this is true for both men and women, I wonder how some people got their licence, not blocking a yellow box is basic driving theory

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

I have found that both are equal. I have recently put L plates on my car as the wife is learning to drive and I have noticed rudeness more from other drivers of both sexes e.g. tailgating more, overtaking in a 60 zone when i am doing 60 just as they think i am a learner and they want to make some statement, not letting me out at junctions, trying to overtake on roundabouts. Of course the L plates dont help but it just highlights the bad manners even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IMO a lot of women are concentrating so hard on what's directly in front of them that they don't see "the bigger picture" eg they don't see that if they let a car turn right into a side road in front of them that it won't cost them any time and will make everything run smoother.

Certainly all the females that I know are like this. They sit perched forward at the wheel with a white knuckle grip on it and concentrate intensely when driving - but only on what's happening directly ahead of them. They seem to suffer a kind of tunnel vision. They are very easily flustered and if anything takes their concentration away from the road (eg a passenger talking to them) their driving goes to pieces.

It's no wonder that extra complications (such as letting cars out that they have priority over) are too much for them to handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Men are much more courteous IMO. Women are notorious for blocking junctions and filling gaps in traffic so you can't merge.

Don't get me wrong , men are by no means perfect either - discourteous driving just seems to be more prevalent in women - IMO.

BrianD3 wrote:
    Certainly all the females that I know are like this. They sit perched forward at the wheel with a white knuckle grip on it and concentrate intensely when driving - but only on what's happening directly ahead of them. They seem to suffer a kind of tunnel vision. They are very easily flustered and if anything takes their concentration away from the road (eg a passenger talking to them) their driving goes to pieces.

Very well said, and I have to agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I find the road to be very equal when it comes to courtesy. There is only 1 type of driver that i have never ever had a thank you from and thats the 40+ female merc driver whos dressed from head to toe in what ever cosmo tells them is fashon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

sneakyST wrote:
    I have found that both are equal. I have recently put L plates on my car as the wife is learning to drive and I have noticed rudeness more from other drivers of both sexes e.g. tailgating more, overtaking in a 60 zone when i am doing 60 just as they think i am a learner and they want to make some statement, not letting me out at junctions, trying to overtake on roundabouts. Of course the L plates dont help but it just highlights the bad manners even more.

Is it not illegal to drive with L plates on when you have a full license?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

why would it be and lets not stray from the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Big Nelly wrote:
    Is it not illegal to drive with L plates on when you have a full license?

I can't see why it would be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

Women never let you out at a junction from my experience also.

Men are more likely to roll down the window and start mouthing off, but on the whole I think they are the more courteous on the roads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Spot on there BrianD3, it is unbelievable how the most intelligent woman seem to lose their brain behind a wheel, seem to have no awareness of speed, distance, road position.
    9/10 if a car pulls out in front of you it is a woman, 9/10 they will just pull up in the middle of the road outside the schools.

In saying that there are plenty of men who I would also put in that box, most of them driving in Mayo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

RotalicaV wrote:

Thought they were supposed to be better at multi-tasking? Or was that just a ruse, like the female orgasm and periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'd also agree with what Brian said. Watching my mother drive, there's very little attention being paid to anything other than what's directly in front.

I let men or women out if the opportunity arises. However, I find most times I'm let out, it's a man that does it. As regards acknowledging space being left for you, I find people are more or less equal in their ignorance when you do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

blastman wrote:
    I'd also agree with what Brian said. Watching my mother drive, there's very little attention being paid to anything other than what's directly in front.

Well you fail your driving test if you don't look in each mirror 2-3 times a minute.

I find women are too cautious. I let out a woman today. I checked my mirrors slowed.. flashed so that she could pull into the lane as she indicated. she ignored and as i was about to proceed 15 seconds later she took up the offer. obviously wasn't watching her mirror. What made it worse was the lights ahead went red just as she got to them. I had to wait another 4 minutes then when i could have gotten through had i just not offered to let her out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

RotalicaV wrote:
    If you're letting a woman out at a junction, they tend to focus more on getting out quickly and safely...

And that is what you should do. But women seem to take forever...

I have a yellow box junction at the entrance to my estate, but the number of people who stop in it is incredible. The other day, a woman drove into it and stopped across me, even though I was already waiting to exit. Then she just looks sheepish at me, indicating she didn't do it on purpose.

Behaviour at junctions is independent of gender, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

A little off topic but ninty9er reminded me of one of my top pet hates.
    That is when you slow and flash/hand signal for someone to pull out but then realise that they are not even paying attention. Usually they are looking the other direction or talking to whomever is in the passenger seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I think women are definitely the worst for letting you out. The trick though is to force your way out. If you inch your way out of a junction a woman will back down and let you go whereas a man will keep going and doesn't care if you crash into him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BrianD3 is bang on the money, women are supposed to be good at multi-tasking but in a car that seems to be limited to applying make up at the lights while talking on the phone*!

So many womens view of the road is that narrow strip in front of them and very little else.

Mike.

*not all wimmin okay, lest you think of me a a grumpy old man

I think women are definitely the worst for letting you out. The trick though is to force your way out. If you inch your way out of a junction a woman will back down and let you go whereas a man will keep going and doesn't care if you crash into him.

I am fairly considerate on the road, and ab of the opinion that if everyone let one person out at a junction, etc, it would improve the traffic situation.

However, if someone trys this kind of bully tactic, i will go out of my way to prevent them merging/joining the traffic, there is no need/call for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

prospect wrote:
    I am fairly considerate on the road, and ab of the opinion that if everyone let one person out at a junction, etc, it would improve the traffic situation.

However, if someone trys this kind of bully tactic, i will go out of my way to prevent them merging/joining the traffic, there is no need/call for it.

I only try it when I am sitting there like a tool for ages and nobody is letting me out.

I only try it when I am sitting there like a tool for ages and nobody is letting me out.

Fair enough, I am referring more so to the White Van Man who flys up to a junction and then immediately trys to force his way into the traffic without even coming to complete stop.
    Or the twits that use left turn only lanes & bus lanes, and then try to merge back into traffic at the lights.

Advertisement