Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is your commute

Options
  • 25-04-2006 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Just wondering if there are many people suffering as a result of a long commute to and from work.
    It takes me about 3/4 of an hour each way (Car & Luas)....but that pales by comparrison according to some stories I've heard.
    Greystones to City Centre - 40 mins in morning
    City Centre to G'stones - 45 mins evening
    Anyone got a real nightmare of a commute???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Yipper wrote:
    Just wondering if there are many people suffering as a result of a long commute to and from work.
    It takes me about 3/4 of an hour each way (Car & Luas)....but that pales by comparrison according to some stories I've heard.
    Greystones to City Centre - 40 mins in morning
    City Centre to G'stones - 45 mins evening
    Anyone got a real nightmare of a commute???

I drive into the city centre, and leave at about 6:50 and get in for 7:30 on a good day, but usually closer to 7:45. Trip home normally takes about 60-70 minutes.

Pretty happy with that, considering it is over 20 miles to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

about an hour each way - shuttle bus + Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

loyatemu wrote:
    about an hour each way - shuttle bus + Dart.
    Takes better half 80 mins door to door to get to IFSC on dart and bus. I have the luxury of being able to work from home most of the time, but when I have to go into the office, I'd leave at 7 and be there by 7.50 - 8, driving into Grand canal street

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

1 and a quarter hours door to door using the dart to ifsc. Don't think it seems that much though, used to do the same from dalkey and that felt like it took longer, you can't overestimate the value of a seat on any given tuesday morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

15 mins drive from Home to station
    50 mins train to Heuston(35 on express train)
    10 mins walk to work
    ----
    75 mins(not bad for 50 miles). A little more going home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

My commute is roughly 40 - 50mins from here (leaving at 07.30) to Citywest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 niamh_c

same to citywest, more 50 mins than 40 though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

10 minutes for me, about 35 for herself if she drives, about and hour and a quarter if she gets DART/LUAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I'm one of the lucky ones. 25 minutes drive into blackrock leaving around 7.30. Then maybe 30 minutes home. Plus I have the dart option if I envisage a few pints on the way home! That takes about 45 minutes including getting to and from station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

i work in lucan, dublin. on some of the bad weather days we had in April, the commute took 2 hours. On a normal day leaving at 8am it takes one hour. Leaving at 8.30am it takes about 45 mins. Considering i also lived in lucan before moving to greystones... the drive kills me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

hi all,
    moving to the grove in 2-3 weeks. looks like my daily commute to Swords will be about 90-100 mins each way. combo of dart & car.

got to get a job closer to greystones I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

20-25 mins to Ballymount at 8.30-9.00 - new M50/N11 link is fantastic. When new road to Charlesland opens up, will be even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

TnJ wrote:
    hi all,
    moving to the grove in 2-3 weeks. looks like my daily commute to Swords will be about 90-100 mins each way. combo of dart & car.

got to get a job closer to greystones I guess!

I feel your pain... I drive to work in Clonshaugh Industrial estate near the Airport and the commute is hell!!! I have to leave before 7 am and I still some days dont get in to work until after 830am!!! so I have a 3 hr commute every day. I am on maternity leave at the moment so I intend to leave soon after I so back and try and find something southside. I used to live in Drumcondra and have a 10min drive to my job - ahwell the price u pay for living in a great place!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

However....as you drive to work, I regret to inform you that there is still one individual travelling to and from Santry via shuttlebus, dart and Dublin bus.
    For the record, that's up to and including a five hour round trip on a bad day.

We all have our crosses to bear, but some are obviously heavier than others. Anyone aware of a decent job a bit closer to G'stones, don't hesitate to PM me.
    Thanx in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

After reading some of those nightmare journeys, I am very lucky - I only have to go to dun laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Yeah i do the following:

10 mins walk to station.
    1hr mins train to Gorey.
    5 mins walk to college.
    75mins (not bad-no wait i do have to wait for a 6.50 train If I don't get the 2.50 train :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

I have to go to Sandyford in the morning which on a bad day is 45-50 mins leaving @ 7.45. However my girlfriend works in St James's hospital so thats the DART to Connolly and then the LUAS to the hospital itself...Nightmare!

Its almost 1.5 hrs each way....She is now moving to a new job needless to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

We work within 200m of each other near Baggot St. and wifey has parking. We leave between 7:00 and 7:30 most days and rarely spend more than an hour commuting to work.

The drive home is usually just over an hour, but yesterday was nuts!!! Left work at 4:30 and at 6:00 decided to go to Dundrum and shop as we'd only made it as far as Foster's Avenue!!! Crash further up the N11 was causing massive tailbacks I believe.

The sooner the roadworks on Rock Road are finished, the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

i travel just over 2 hours each way.
    combo of car, train and walking. woo hoo life is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Hi
    Just to add to the commute 'database'. My wife leaves by car at 6.50am and arrives at work in Ballyfermot at 7.30am. Her return journey is also usually 40minutes. I travel by car to Dun Laoghaire and it takes about 15 minutes.

Markest
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Imaginephoto

I'm the smug bastard that works, lives and plays in Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Yes and I see you spend your Sundays surfing the net and then going drinking in Danns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

As Eric Ilde said in the Life of Brian: "You Lucky, Lucky b*stard"

And, for the record, there's nothing smug about that.....if I was in your situation, I'd have a poster made up and get it put on the commuter bus to the dart every morning.
    Still, at least the sun in the mornings makes getting out of bed that little bit easier.

:)

Advertisement