Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident affecting insurance

Options
  • 25-04-2006 9:42am

I had an accident in feb which caused me to write off my car and i was wondering how much my insurance will go up when i've to get it renewed in August. Im a 21 year old female who is driving since last August and i pay 1750 on a 1999 Ford Ka, I originally had a Ltd edition 97 Ford ka but insurance didnt change

does it depend on how much was claimed from me ?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I had an accident in feb which caused me to write off my car and i was wondering how much my insurance will go up when i've to get it renewed in August. Im a 21 year old female who is driving since last August and i pay 1750 on a 1999 Ford Ka, I originally had a Ltd edition 97 Ford ka but insurance didnt change

does it depend on how much was claimed from me ?:confused:

Women drivers:rolleyes:

Did you claim on your own insurance or was it on whoever might have crashed into you? if it was your own there is no real way of telling how much it will go up. Your no claims bonus will be gone unless you have protection on it? are you full license or one of the many Learner drivers spinning around our roads without a care? there is alot of consideration before anyone could give you information on how much insurance would go up so more info required

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Big Nelly wrote:
    Women drivers:rolleyes:

That's not really fair. She gives no details of the accident, perhaps ask her what happened before you go straight for the jugular?

Slaanesh wrote:
    That's not really fair. She gives no details of the accident, perhaps ask her what happened before you go straight for the jugular?

Sarcaism is lost on some people

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Big Nelly wrote:
    Sarcaism is lost on some people

Sorry, I could never see the sarcasm in the rolleyes smiley, it will always be lost on me :)

Four car pile up on the malahide road, i was the last car and went into a 06 merc no unhelpful comments
    and yes im a provisional driver

• Advertisement

Four car pile up on the malahide road, i was the last car and went into a 06 merc no unhelpful comments

If it was a four car pile up it shouldnt have been on your insurance but on the insurance of the person that caused the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Did the driver holding the a full license who was accompanying you not tell you to apply the breaks?

Big Nelly, surely she will be responsible for the damage to the Merc? No one caused her to drive into it. Drivers are responsible for bringing their vehicle to a sfe stop almost regardless of what the car is front has done or is doing.

MrP

I havent a clue i was injured and taken away in an ambulance so my dad handled it all
    a guy breaked hard in traffic to pull into the petrol station and then he drove away so
    the gardai said it was irrelevant who was in the car with me as it was half 6 in the morning and i was going to work and he said there were witnesses who said we'd all no time to break
    yeah i think the merc claimed off me i'm not too sture like i said my dad handled it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Dont do things to other people if you are not prepared to face the consequences.
    Karma can be a bitch!biggrin.gif

I think your sig answers your own question there missy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You are responsible for the damage to the merc.

If the other cars were stationary, and you hit the merc, who in turn hit the second car, and who in turn hit the first car, then you would have been responsible for the lot.

• Advertisement

the merc had hit the second car before i hit him as far as i know anyway i just wanted to know how much would my insurance go up? even a ball park figure

I havent a clue i was injured and taken away in an ambulance so my dad handled it all
    a guy breaked hard in traffic to pull into the petrol station and then he drove away so
    the gardai said it was irrelevant who was in the car with me as it was half 6 in the morning and i was going to work and he said there were witnesses who said we'd all no time to break
    yeah i think the merc claimed off me i'm not too sture like i said my dad handled it
    I think what normally happens is the guy in front claims off the guy that hit him who claims off the guy that hit him all the way to the back, in this case you.

Hopefully you will only be looking at the damage to the car you hit. I suppose there is a chance the driver yuo hit might try to say he had stopped but the impact of your car caused him to hit the car in front. In this case you could end up being liable for more than the car you hit.

The statements of the witnesses could be very important for you so make sure they are taken and accuratly reflect what, if anything, you remember.

I think your maiin problem might be that pretty much regardless of what the guy in front of you did you will be liable. At best it may be decided that he was partially responsible but it will always come down to the fact that every driver has a responsibility to be able to bring their car to a safe stop regardless of the actions of the driver in front.

In your case if you did not have enough time / space to stop then you were too close. I am not trying to get at you, just trying to explain things.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the last person in a pileup generally responsible for all damages ?

either way it doesn't answer the question which I personally think you'll have to wait until renewal time to get an accurate answer to. Insurance companies change their pricing every month so the answer now is not necessarily the answer in August, even if anyone here could give it to you.

Best of luck. I know the feeling of increasing insurance quotes due to accidents. With time, it'll go away if you keep the slate clean.

the merc had hit the second car before i hit him as far as i know anyway i just wanted to know how much would my insurance go up? even a ball park figure
    It really is impossible to say until you try to get a quote. I don't know that there is any method, outside of what the insurance companies use, to calculate it.

Do you eben know how much is being claimed?

MrP

m_stan wrote:
    correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the last person in a pileup generally responsible for all damages ?

Only if the last person cause the preceding cars to hit each other. If the crash has already occured they should not be responsible for all damage tough there may be an arguement that they could have caused additional damage to the cars in front by causing secondary impacts up the line.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

My husband had an accident some years back and as he didnt have No claims Bonus protection, his insurance doubled but then went down proportionately each year afterwards (he was stuck with the same insurance company for 5 years) at the end of the 5 years his insurance was back at the level it was at the time of the claim and he had 5 years NCB that he could transfer.

Worth getting the NCB protection once this is all sorted out for the future as I had a claim (wasnt anyhing very major - 3rd party for approx 2.5k - which my male named driver caused before anyone says "womern drivers " ;) )
    I had 5 years NCB and due to step back protection it only reduced it by 20% and I could move companies because the claim was settled - so well worth checking into for the future.

Thats what insurance is there for,bad as it is that its gonna go up and once your ok thats the main thing, chalk it up to experience I guess but nasty experience at that!

yeah i know all that and i dont mind i'm glad i wasnt injured as well
    i just need to know if my premium will go up by much

yeah i know all that and i dont mind i'm glad i wasnt injured as well
    OK. It will go up by €4597.67

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

Well then why not contact your insurance company? Am I missing something here??

are you taking the piss, i'm looking for an example of an estimate if its happened 2 anyone namely a woman in the past

• Advertisement

im afraid they will give me a figure like the one above lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

are you taking the piss, i'm looking for an example of an estimate if its happened 2 anyone namely a woman in the past

CSG,

Insurance quotes are very specific, it depends on a lot of contributing factors:

Your Gender,
    Your Age,
    Your Driving Qualification,
    Your residence,
    Your place of work,
    Type of use of car,
    Type of car,
    Engine size,
    Value of car,
    Your commute,
    Milage covered per year,
    Where your car is kept,
    Car security,
    Previous driving history,
    Accident history,
    No of claims,
    Cost of claims,
    Are you married,
    Your spouses car type, engine size, license type, etc.
    Type of cover required,
    And so on.

So your question cannot be accurately answered, and whatever you are told here will not affect your renewal quote.

As an extreemly rough guess, you can reasonabley expect your premium to double.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Every case is different. Nobody here, myself included, has any idea how much your premium will go up by. Why don't you just ask your insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There's a good chance that even if you didn't have an accident, you would be paying a different premium than another woman of the same age, same car etc, so trying to estimate how much it's going to go up after an accident is close to impossible IMO.
    there were witnesses who said we'd all no time to break

I know this is really irrelevant, but that means you were going too fast / too close to the car ahead of you / not paying enough attention, or a combination of - end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Sounds like you were paying too much in the first place, what company are you with? (Sorry if its mentioned already.) My girlfriend only started driving last summer in a similiar size car, same age etc and her insurance was about €700. She upgraded to a Magane Coupé and it only went up by about 40 quid.

unhelpful comment edited.- mike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your insurance will probably go up. In general, whether you're penalised or not depends on how much damage you caused. If you were responsible for completely totalling another vehicle and causing structural damage to surrounding buildings and had to pay out 100's of 1000's in compensation, then you'd be lucky to get a quote under €10k.
    This is because the amount of damage is generally used as an indicator of how dangerously you were driving. Dangerous drivers == higher premiums. Of course, this falls down when a tap on a Lotus costs more to fix than writing off a micra.

Axa told me over the phone that claims under €2k don't have any effect on your premium.

You need to go and find out if you actually paid out any money. I'm not being mean here, but you're 21, you're an adult. If you want to drive a car, then you need to take responsibility and find out about the things you're responsible for. Daddy won't look after it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I'd say yer looking at at least a €1000 increase.

Please stop driving on your own and pass your test :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Sure your daddy will probably handle the increased insurance bill for you too so why are you worrying. :rolleyes:
    Did he buy you your little ka aswell which you managed to crash. Women drivers :rolleyes:
    Seen as your female it`ll probably go up E13.23cents. Seriously something should be done about the cheap rates stoopid girly drivers get, its a complete scandal that males pay so much more when a lot (note i didnt say all) of women havent a clue how to drive or control a car or stop a car in an emergency and end up causing accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nuttzy wrote:
    Sure your daddy will probably handle the increased insurance bill for you too so why are you worrying. :rolleyes:
    Did he buy you your little ka aswell which you managed to crash. Women drivers :rolleyes:
    Seen as your female it`ll probably go up E13.23cents. Seriously something should be done about the cheap rates stoopid girly drivers get, its a complete scandal that males pay so much more when a lot (note i didnt say all) of women havent a clue how to drive or control a car or stop a car in an emergency and end up causing accidents.

To be fair, she's hardly the first person in the history of motoring to rear-end someone. Women pay less in insurance for a very simple reason - they represent a better risk. Finally, it's hardly her problem if her father is more generous than yours.

• Advertisement

Emm not apreciating the unhelpful comments and at the age of 21
    I earn way more than enough money to afford my own car and the insurance that goes with it:D
    My dad doesnt pay anything for me, he simply helped me out as I hadnt been in an accident before and didnt know here the car had to go after the crash what to say to the insurance company etc.

The merc claimed 16 grand from me , his exhaust pipe fell off and his backbox was dinted.

Advertisement