Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident affecting insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The merc claimed 16 grand from me , his exhaust pipe fell off and his backbox was dinted.

I'm assuming the 16 grand was just for damage to his car? I don't mean to depress you further, but if you hit the back of his car that hard I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a personal injury claim in the post from him as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

How many years no claims bonus do you have? How much is your insurance?

AFAIK this is what should happen -
    If you have a NCB you will lose it. If your NCB is 20% and you are paying 800 your insurance "should" increase to 1000.

I don't know what will happen if you have no NCB. In theory your renewal should be the same next year. But I have heard stories of them loading people. Best bet is to ring them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Helterskelter,
    Claims push up the price of your insurance past what it would be if you had 0ncb.
    Approximately 30-40% for a largeish claim.

I've had insurance for 9 months only

I've had insurance for 9 months only

Have you asked your insurance company how much your premium is likely to rise by yet?

• Advertisement

No i'm planning on calling them soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Make sure you are sitting down. :D

Let us know how you get on.

MrP

If you really want to know the answer to your question then you'll call them. As a few of us have already pointed out, they are the only ones who can answer it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Nuttzy wrote:
    Sure your daddy will probably handle the increased insurance bill for you too so why are you worrying. :rolleyes:
    Did he buy you your little ka aswell which you managed to crash. Women drivers :rolleyes:

needless comment :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

Well coolsmileygirl , Not sure this will help u but
    the GF , was in an accident last year in december ...head on with a truck, narrow bendy road , the car skidded on the crappy surface( ****e road loads of accidents all on the same bend) crossed the white line this made her the fault ...her insurance this year in feburary doubled

she is 25, Full License, Ford Fiesta 1.25 2005 (new car) her old insurance was €550, This time it was €1100 Fully Comp. The claim against her was prob about the same as yours cause her old 1999 fiesta wrote its self off and the truck as well. And Trucks tend to be expensive .

And Congrats on Denting a merc ...I despise all Merc drivers as I cant afford one my self :D

• Advertisement

I've been quoted 2500 up from 1750, my dad said I was lucky!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I've been quoted 2500 up from 1750, my dad said I was lucky!:D :D

wow , that less than a male driver without having a crash :mad:

yup !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Mate of mine had an accy 2 years ago forfiting her second years NCB. The insurance only went up €400 although I have no idea what way they work it out. She was 21 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

They're still unfair to males though.

Myself & bf are the same age (give or take a few months).
    Both drive 1.4 hatchbacks, nothing sporty of altered or anything.

I've 2 years ncb, he's had his 5 years ncb for at least 2 years already.
    Neither of us have ever had any accidents or claims made against us.

I pay just over €500 per year.
    This year his came down a bit again & he's paying just under €1300, if I can remember correctly. what a bargain!!!!!

I really do feel for male drivers, it really is unfair, but then I guess most of the teenage / early twenties people wrapping themselves around trees tend to be male:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BoozyBabe wrote:

This year his came down a bit again & he's paying just under €1300, if I can remember correctly. what a bargain!!!!!

I really do feel for male drivers, it really is unfair, but then I guess most of the teenage / early twenties people wrapping themselves around trees tend to be male:(

Does anyone else think that this is a clear case of discrimination?
    I wonder would say an East European male get a different quote to an Irish male given a comparable set of circumstances? i.e. given the higk level of foreign driver accidents - do the insurance companies discriminate on the basis of nationality as well as sex?

actually axa quoted me 2050 full comp with the accident, only 300 raise in premium consider the 05 merc i crashed into claimed 15 grand... whoo hoo!

ok axa needed a cliams breakdown as part of giving me the fully comp quote of 2050 and now I've found out the driver of the merc got a new car out if of this,his chasis on his car was damaged so they wrote it off and the damages towards me were 42785 euro and quinn direct quoted me 2500 to renew after this, i'll let you know if axa still take me on after finding out about my claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

My sisters premium doubled this year and it wasn't possbile to add people she had as named drivers because the premium would have been more again. She was stopped at lights with the handbreak on when a guy ran full speed into the back of her. She shunted into the car in front, which went into the car in front again. Her car was a write off. The guy slapped the car in reverse and tore off into town. He was found by the Gards burning out the car. Claimed his car was stolen and a friend told him where it was on fire. Hard luck a detective had seen him driving to the spot in it 5 mins earlier! Needless to say no tax and insurance.

She had to claim the value of her car off her fully comp (€5000). Despite the guard signing a declaration it was not her fault and the driver was uninsured she was still loaded. This may change after the case and the uninsured drivers fund pays out.

As regards running into the back of someone, it is ALWAYS the fault of the person behind. I witnessed a serious accident in Cork last week, A girl stopped up on a dual carriageway to turn up a dirt lane in the right. Another woman crased into the back of her. The other two cars behind them pulled across me into the slow lane. Luckily enough I was going at an appropriate speed and maintaing an appropriate distance. I was able to break and avoid the carnage. The two women who pulled across (and clipped the other car in the process) kept saying 'there was nowhere for us to go'. I was thinking, try not driving up the arse of the car in front of you and you might be able to react in time.

Pay attention, and maintain adequete stopping distance and you won't have to worry about crap like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

BoozyBabe wrote:

You should name eash other on your policies, (as common law spouses) this will bring down the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

CSG, you must have been going at a fair pace to do that to the Merc, or do the Mercs have an Achille's Heel?

I would guess that having done that much damage to the car, a PI claim is also imminent!

He didnt claim PI, there was chasis damage to both cars so they would have to be write off's i suppose
    not going too fast just came off a roundabout so wouldnt have had time to gather speed and it was on a busy main road on a tuesday morning!

Advertisement