Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan Build Started

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭adiobam

cant wait to skate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭smois

the county council are prepered to open the park as soon as the proper fencng is completed.the plan is that for the first 3-6 weeks there will be no entrance fee and it will operate like a playground with the park ranger lockin it up and opening it and checkein in every few hours. the offical open for business day will probaBLY not be intill sometime in august. a leagle graffiti walla to be built beside the comunity centre has been proposed to county council in hopes it will stop the centre being vandilised.we are hoping to organise a demo and some graffiti artists to come down and paint the leagle walls and maybe a dj or sumting along those lines for the officaly open for business day which will be hopfully sometime in august
    smois

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sanitarium

Have they started putting in proper fencing? Any signs of markings etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

Sanitarium wrote:
    Have they started putting in proper fencing? Any signs of markings etc..?
    ye id say its fully up now. those fences way a tonne so theyre not comin down

f wrote:
    ye id say its fully up now. those fences way a tonne so theyre not comin down

You're saying that it is finished now?

• Advertisement

if the fences arent finshed now i dont know if they are cause i havin been down in a few days they should be finished next week

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I presume bmx riders are allowed to use it?

It is ment to be quite small from what I heard, so I wouldn't hope so.. :( Although, i have no problem with BMX'ers its just that it is small enough and the 50+ 10 year old kids that will be there aswell would make it hard to skate...

i pretty sure there will only be certain times for bmxers like a certai day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Ah well i work nights + weekends so i'll be there when all the kids are at school!!!
    Anytime i went to R+R it was a tues afteroon and generally had the place to myself!!!

• Advertisement

Any updates? Keep us posted lucan boyo's. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Sanitarium wrote:
    It is ment to be quite small from what I heard, so I wouldn't hope so.. :( Although, i have no problem with BMX'ers its just that it is small enough and the 50+ 10 year old kids that will be there aswell would make it hard to skate...

I dont bmx, but BMXers have the right to ride that park if they want. They signed the petition, they have an equal right to be there. If people dont like it, they have 2 options

1: Deal with it
    2: Leave

The 50+ 10 year old skateboard kids will have to sit around and watch while the BMXers take the park. Likewise for the rollerbladers and the BMXers will do the same. Its how skateparks go. If you ever go to any skatepark in the uk thats in anyway known (not a few ramps in a field), its how it goes, everyone gets their turn

red_ice wrote:
    I dont bmx, but BMXers have the right to ride that park if they want. They signed the petition, they have an equal right to be there. If people dont like it, they have 2 options

The 50+ 10 year old skateboard kids will have to sit around and watch while the BMXers take the park. Likewise for the rollerbladers and the BMXers will do the same. Its how skateparks go. If you ever go to any skatepark in the uk thats in anyway known (not a few ramps in a field), its how it goes, everyone gets their turn
    again, they will have special days for bmxers. i have nothing against them , but it would be too dangerous to have bmxers, skaters and bladers on the park at the same time, and they will have to deal with that, and so will we. and thats when they get their turn. the uk doesnt have the insurance issues we have.

red_ice wrote:

I didn't meen it in that way. You didn't understand me. I ment that I dont want to be skating, and then land in a way where I cant see where I am going, and plough right into a BMX'er. I would love it if the skatepark have designated days for the different sports. I think that would be soo much better and safer.

Like for week 1:
    Mon, Wed, Friday, Sun = Skaters (inline and board)
    Tues, Thurs, Sat = BMX'ers

Week 2:
    Mon, Wed, Friday, Sun = BMX'ers
    Tues, Thurs, Sat = Skaters (inline and board)

Maby that would complicate things but its just an idea. Ramp City has 1 day a week set aside for BMX'ers.
    I hope you understand me better now. After reading over my last post it looks like I came over very harshley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭adiobam

thats a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Sanitarium wrote:
    Like for week 1:
    Mon, Wed, Friday, Sun = Skaters (inline and board)
    Tues, Thurs, Sat = BMX'ers

Week 2:
    Mon, Wed, Friday, Sun = BMX'ers
    Tues, Thurs, Sat = Skaters (inline and board)

that wouldnt work at all. Its too biased for BMXers - its nice that you would be cool with that, but the ratio of the sports ie, 2 differnt sports can use it at once, where as bmx needs the park to itself.

the best way to do it imo, is to just let skaters/skateboarders haev a roll around for a while, then give a designated bmx time aswell, that way no matter what day it is. I know id be p1ssed if it was a bmx day and it was the only sunny day or skateable day of the week, that wouldnt be fair, so time allocation but on a much smaller scale - ie every 30 minz/hour or so, everyone gets a change up / relax. Im happy skating along side bmxers, as its hard to miss when they drop in, and tbh, most of them know how to ride a park - so it would be your own fault if something happened, not theirs. They usually wait their turn when ever i skate near em anyways. Tbh, id love to throw a bmxer into the park for good meaure, it stop people hogging ramps, and if it doesnt... it will teach em a lesson for doing so!

It wouldnt be a case of clearning the park, it would be more based around letting the bmxers take control for a while, that way theres still a buzz going

red_ice wrote:
    that wouldnt work at all. Its too biased for BMXers - its nice that you would be cool with that, but the ratio of the sports ie, 2 differnt sports can use it at once, where as bmx needs the park to itself.

the best way to do it imo, is to just let skaters/skateboarders haev a roll around for a while, then give a designated bmx time aswell, that way no matter what day it is. I know id be p1ssed if it was a bmx day and it was the only sunny day or skateable day of the week, that wouldnt be fair, so time allocation but on a much smaller scale - ie every 30 minz/hour or so, everyone gets a change up / relax. Im happy skating along side bmxers, as its hard to miss when they drop in, and tbh, most of them know how to ride a park - so it would be your own fault if something happened, not theirs. They usually wait their turn when ever i skate near em anyways. Tbh, id love to throw a bmxer into the park for good meaure, it stop people hogging ramps, and if it doesnt... it will teach em a lesson for doing so!

It wouldnt be a case of clearning the park, it would be more based around letting the bmxers take control for a while, that way theres still a buzz going
    there would need to be a lot of bmmxers there fo that to work, like it wouldnt work to kick out 10-15 bladers/skaters to let in 2 or 3 bmxers. and time aswell, if you were tyrin somethin fo a while an u were gettin close it would f*ck u up to sit down and not try it for half an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sdjustin

well its been nearly a month since the ramps where finished nearly 2 weeks since the fencing was put up and it still aint open .. does anyone know what the story is ?

i dont think any 1 knows, not even the council. id say early august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭asto

Yeah, we reckon Early to mid August, we still have some stuff to sort out before opening!!!

• Advertisement

**** sortin stuff out just open the bleedin gates its not that hard

red_ice wrote:

I hope to visit it the first week of september after the novelty has worn off and the kids are back too school.I'll be bringing me bike and skateboard aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sdjustin

asto wrote:
    Yeah, we reckon Early to mid August, we still have some stuff to sort out before opening!!!

what stuff ? cameras ? im sure the can easily be put up while were skating it the place is basically fully finished like why wait longer

It could be the insurance issues raising it's head again...tell me I'm worng!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Just to remind you of the original plans before skaters got involved in the planning process....

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

shagman wrote:
    Just to remind you of the original plans before skaters got involved in the planning process....
    yikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭asto

haha, i remember that shaggy!

just here to say that the county council are the biggest bunch of unorganised gits i have ever come across. lucan skatepark is still not open altough the comstruction of the ramps is finished at least a month and a week and the proper fences are up at least two weeks and insurance is prety much sorted so wats the problem. from wat i can see its down to stupidity on the county councils behalf.
    this post is not aimed at derek keating as there is no more he can do. i think every one owes derek a big thank you for gettin us this far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

smois wrote:
    insurance is prety much sorted so wats the problem.
    Pretty much being the operative word. This is Ireland where suing for personal injury with no win no fee legal teams is commonplace. Not to mention the red tape and beauracracy at every level in (local) Irish government...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I think your only problem now is the weather :mad:

Advertisement