Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Phone socket

Options
  • 25-04-2006 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Ordered BroadBand before I moved into new apartment. Thing is the phone line is present but it's just a wire coming out of the wall:( . I bought a socket and was about to attach, however, the wires in the socket are black, yellow, red and blue as far as I remember and the wiress coming from the wall are striped, white+blue, yellow+white, red+white and some other.

Question is, Have the colour codes of phone wire been changed recently and ant idea which wire matched which?

Thanks for any help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Souness wrote:
    Ordered BroadBand before I moved into new apartment. Thing is the phone line is present but it's just a wire coming out of the wall:( . I bought a socket and was about to attach, however, the wires in the socket are black, yellow, red and blue as far as I remember and the wiress coming from the wall are striped, white+blue, yellow+white, red+white and some other.

Question is, Have the colour codes of phone wire been changed recently and ant idea which wire matched which?

Thanks for any help:)

Hey Souness

You say the phone line is present, but if there are no connections on the cable coming from the wall, how can the phone line work.
    Are you sure your at the pnone line and not an alarm cable ( sounds silly but could happen).
    In relation to the socket, if you can confirm which 2 wires from the wall are carrying dial tone, they connect to the centre 2 wires in the socket
    ( depending on socket type IE eircom specific.)
    If its just a brown joint box type of socket, connect the wires with dial tone from the wall to the back 2 screw terminals of the socket.
    Hope this helps
    Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Souness

Cheers Chef!

The apartment was recently refurbished and bought before fully finished. had to fix a lot of the light switces and rads back to the walls. The line that I think is phone wire has 4 wires in it, have put junction boxes in phone line at home and wire seems the same weight. Think I remember having some problem because the cloour codes on the wires had been changed.

How do I know which wires have the dial tone, trial and error?

Cheers again!:)

PS no alarm system in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Assuming Irish standards are the same as the American ones, you can use the diagram on this page to "translate" the old (solid) colours to the new (stripy) colours.

http://www.lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Souness

Cheers Ghandi

Exactly what I needed..Give it a go this evening.:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, the diagram posted by Gandhi should work.

THe wires used by Eircom have, blue, blue stripe, orange, and orange stripe. They only use the blue and blue stripe wires.

On a flat cable that wires to a phone, the colours are black, green, red, yellow. On this, the only colours used are the 2 inside ones, green and red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Vertical

If you have a voltmeter there is approx 47V DC between the two conductors carrying the signal. Don't short them (or leave them shorted!) after you've stripped them.

Advertisement