Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CJB analogy

Options
  • 25-04-2006 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I have been looking for an analogy to try and put across to none shooters the nature of the minister’s efforts in formulating the CJB. Best I can come up with is:

The minister’s response to an increase in gun crime is to punish legitimate licensed gun owners in a way that would be the same as clamping down on prescription medication in response to an increase in drug related crime.

So, there’s an increase in drug related crime. Let’s make it nearly impossible for patients to get a prescription for medication. If they weather the bureaucratic jungle, comply with a long list of conditions (including proving they are competent to take medication) and actually manage to get a prescription, let’s make it really difficult for them to but more than one table at a time. And then let’s make it illegal to take that tablet anywhere except at an authorised tablet taking facility (but we won’t define what such a facility is).

Bit laboured, but it seems to be getting the point across.

Anyone have a better idea ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm trying to point out that Section 4B quite probably introduces an unlimited search power for non-Gardai and non-Customs officers who don't seem to be subject to many rules. We'll see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Quillo wrote:
    I have been looking for an analogy to try and put across to none shooters the nature of the minister’s efforts in formulating the CJB. Best I can come up with is:

The minister’s response to an increase in gun crime is to punish legitimate licensed gun owners in a way that would be the same as clamping down on prescription medication in response to an increase in drug related crime.

So, there’s an increase in drug related crime. Let’s make it nearly impossible for patients to get a prescription for medication. If they weather the bureaucratic jungle, comply with a long list of conditions (including proving they are competent to take medication) and actually manage to get a prescription, let’s make it really difficult for them to but more than one table at a time. And then let’s make it illegal to take that tablet anywhere except at an authorised tablet taking facility (but we won’t define what such a facility is).

Bit laboured, but it seems to be getting the point across.

Anyone have a better idea ?

excellent analogy and one I will use myself to talk to my friends about this

Advertisement