Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JJSmithJam

• 25-04-2006 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I turned up last month at JJ Smiths and sat around until I was going to miss my train home and had to leave. As a result, I'm still not certain what exactly goes on there on jam-session night and how. Can anyone enlighten me? I know you put your name down if you want to play, but is it like karaoke where you have to pick a song you like, or is it more free-form than that?

I'll be endebted if you can help out, and so will the young lady I dragged along with me last time who, mad fool as she is, has said she'd accompany me next time as well (as in "go along with me", not "play the harmonica part for me").

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think I was the bass player in the band you saw :)

It's a pretty loose arrangement. There are some regulars who would have a reasonable idea of what they want to play but mostly it's just "12 bar in A" or whatever, and you take it from there. Cues for solos and endings are usually a wink or a nod, it's just a jam. I've done three or four of the nights there in the last couple of years and really there is no set format for the night.

It's mostly guitarists who show up, some bassists and drummers and then the odd harmonica or sax player, but to be honest anything goes. If you want to prepare for it, I guess Crossroads is the most played song I've heard (and Vampire Blues... in A ;) ) but really, it's just about having a bit of craic and rocking out some rough blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noh showband

Thanks for the info, Doc, thankfully it's pretty close to what I was hoping.

I have this dream that some day there'll be a place where any time you feel like calming the voices in your head, you can just turn up and you'll find a session going on that'll let you sit in.

Until that day, though, I suppose the odd midnight mess is about as good as it needs to get.

Nice bass, by the way.

Nice bass? Mustn't have been me so, I was playing my battered old ESP the last time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noh showband

it ain't wotchoo play it's thu way thatchoo playit - anyway, I was talking about the fella behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Abby D Cody

Don't be so rude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭fuse

Doctor J wrote:
    It's a pretty loose arrangement. There are some regulars who would have a reasonable idea of what they want to play but mostly it's just "12 bar in A" or whatever, and you take it from there. Cues for solos and endings are usually a wink or a nod, it's just a jam. I've done three or four of the nights there in the last couple of years and really there is no set format for the night.

What nights this on?
    Upstairs is it?
    Must bale down for a goo sometime.

The fella behind me was the drummer ;)

It's on the first Tuesday of every month, upstairs.

See http://www.irishblues.com/ for details.

Advertisement