Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Graphics card

Options
  • 25-04-2006 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭

I am looking do do some upgrading, And was looking around at some AGP graphics cards and came upon this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320046 please tell me if its worth it thanks, im a relative n00b to this thing too so be gentle ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If that is your rough price point I would go with this instead although the card you picked out and the one I linked to are roughly the same performance wise the card I linked to is a SM3.0 card, the one you picked out is SM2.0.

The difference is that if you are buying this card and wish to keep it for a while plus want to see the most visual effects then getting a SM3.0 card makes more sense as SM2.0 is near the end of the road and developers wont be making such an effort to port visual effects back to SM2.0 cards over the next year or two.

As long as you keep games to 1024x768 you shouldn't have any trouble running with medium/high details in most current and future games.

Of course if you want to splash out a litte bit more this is the one to go for which will allow you to run games at higher resolutions with increased details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dude, try the 6800XT. Better than a 6600-based card, no doubt, not as expensive as the GS; and should do you for your res.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Advertisement