Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Groups/Partners...

Options
  • 25-04-2006 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hey All,

I live in the Ballsbridge area and am looking for someone or a group to run with from time to time (long runs especally). I used to run to a decent standard years ago and have tried to start again over the last few months. I've started slowly and completed 2 races in Dublin recently (BUPA 10k in 46.28 and 4 mile race in 28.17). The longest I've run in training so far is 7 miles in about 55mins (8 minute miles). I'm looking to improve both training and race performance steadily over the next 6 months but realise that this will be difficult on my own.

Does anyone know of anyone I can train with? I dont really want to join an athletic club - just need someone to train with from time to time. I'm 29 year old male.

Thanks in advance,
    Redfraggle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

At Exactly this time last year, I was where you are now [save the bit about running at a high standard once].
    I had started training for a marathon, and needed some company for the long runs.
    Somebody approached me and asked me to join a club. I poiltely declined, thinking I wasn't at that standard. I was informed that I was exactly the standard required. ie I wanted to run. Thats all that was needed.

Again, hessitant at first, I went along to a few training runs. I have never run easier mileage as with some company.

Joining a club was the best training decision I ever made.

Coupled with that, I got asked along to various road races and fell in love with the sport of road running.
    I'm still sh**e, but I now have company for training [ they wait for me at the finish line in the races!].
    I was a proud [non -scoring!] member of a club that punched above it's weight on Sunday at the National 10kms.

I'd ask you to reconsider joining a club, because no matter where you are based, there has to be some friendly club nearby. I can vouch for plenty of Friendly clubs in the West, where I do my running, because I meet them regularly at races.

Best of luck,
    Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Redfraggle

Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting back - It's great to hear about people who were in the same boat as me but came through the initial struggle with flying colours...

The reason why I dont want to join an athletics club in Dublin is that when (and if of course...) I reach a decent enough level again I'd like to run with my old club down the country again. I wouldn't like to join a club and then just leave as I was improving...

Ideally I would like to train with a club but not actually join them or compete for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Hi Alan,
    I wouldnt worry about joining a dublin club and being from the country. Just make sure you tell the people when you join. You probably also want to let the Chairman and Secretary know. You'll find that just about every club will be delighted with that. 1. Because your being loyal to your orignal club and 2.They'll be delighted to have a new member. What you can do is train with your new club and still be a member of the country club. Im not sure which club to reckonmend. I will reckonmend Raheny for obivous reason's but you say you are from Ballsbridge. So Im not too sure, Crusaders maybe, but there not really a road club. DSD is the same. Can anyone else give advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Hi All,

I'm in the same boat, my 10k time is about 50 mins, I've been at that standard for a long time now and am looking to improve. Maybe joining a club is what I need. I have always been reluctant because I thought I wasn't up to club standards. I want to train for the dublin city marathon this year and to improve my 10k time. I'm based in North Co Dublin, near swords, can anyone recoomend a club around there?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

StaggerLee wrote:
    Hi All,

I'm in the same boat, my 10k time is about 50 mins, I've been at that standard for a long time now and am looking to improve. Maybe joining a club is what I need. I have always been reluctant because I thought I wasn't up to club standards. I want to train for the dublin city marathon this year and to improve my 10k time. I'm based in North Co Dublin, near swords, can anyone recoomend a club around there?

Cheers.
    There is a running club in swords called Fingalians..I dont know where in swords they are based but they have mainly athletes that do road races so they would be ideal for you to join

• Advertisement

Cheers,

I found contact details for fingallians on the fingal CoCo website. They are based up near the estuary roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭peterwilson

Hi

Anyone know the contact details of the Fingalians?

Thanks
    Peter

fingallians..

http://www.fingalsportspartnership.ie/org_view.jsp?org_id=8

the email doesn't work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ZolaBud

Hello,

Did any of you join Fingallians? I'm training for mini-marathon in a bit to try to get fit.. I ran a 5 mile race in 50 mins recently so have alot of work to do for a 10km.... would like to join a club but the fact that i'm sh**e is putting me off... anyone is a jogging/running group around Swords area???:)

Advertisement