Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource weekend outages/upgrades & ports

• 25-04-2006 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

I've been with Netsource for over two years now and this week is the only time I’ve had problems with them. It started happening after the weekend upgrade to their network nationwide.

I've had really sluggish connections with any programs using non standard ports. Those include BitTorrent (port 46000 manually setup), WoW client (3724), Steam (27014, 27030, etc) and CS Source amongst the ones i tested today. Internet http downloads on port 80 are smooth as ever and max out the speed when downloading.

in particular case of World of Warcraft, I called their tech support to ask about the really high latency i was having in-game. (pings/tracerts to the server were fine) and give them the port number it was using. Couple of minutes later, the latency dropped to standard speeds and the game was playable. I've asked them to do this to my BitTorrent port too (46000) and it went back to speeds as before the upgrade.

When I asked them about this, they said something about port prioritization which I couldn’t understand why there was such a need for this. Does any other ISP do this and is this normal practice by ISP companies everywhere? It’s going to be a pain in the neck if I have to ask them to unblock ports needed for all that different software out there.

-adnans

Comments

Advertisement