Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help configuring my DSL router for Magnet

• 25-04-2006 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I need help setting up my 3com dsl router to connect to Magnet BB. I need the settings for VPI, VCI, Encapsulation Protocol, Username and Password. Magnet won't give me these details whis is a bit ridiculous as this info is readily available from the likes of Eircom BB on their site.

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fintan.moloney

Why dont you put your 3com router in front of the existing Router that Magnet gave you, i.e. open all the ports on the Magnet Router and connect your 3com Router to the Magnet router and use that as your firewall etc. alternatively get the 2-wire modem driver from their website, install the Magnet Router via USB and log into it (type http://home) and all the details are in there...of course im guessing you do have the Magnet Router ...

...if not I can post up the info here later if you need it - im in the rather odd situation where my Magnet Router has DSL sync & Internet lit, its receiving 12.5 MB/s Downstream and nearly 1 MB/s Upstream but I still have no service yet, been stuck like this since I received the equipment last Friday, as usual tech support is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

Craggy wrote:
    I need help setting up my 3com dsl router to connect to Magnet BB. I need the settings for VPI, VCI, Encapsulation Protocol, Username and Password. Magnet won't give me these details whis is a bit ridiculous as this info is readily available from the likes of Eircom BB on their site.

Cheers..

Hi,

Magnet manage the 2wire router they provide remotely. They don't give out any info on setting because they don't want any third party hardware involved in there network.

The 2wire router has no firewall and all IP that are assigned are fully routable. So anything connected to a Magnet router needs to be protected against hackers, viruses etc.

Later,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Craggy

Cheers for reply. Problem is I don't have my Magnet dsl modem yet. I've moved into my new house and my line is active over 2 weeks but despite many calls to Magnet support they still haven't sent out my dsl modem yet and I desperately need broadband. I have dsl sync light on my 3Com router and shows Down 8526Kbps und up 2814Kbps. They won't give any support because i'm not using they're hardware. Monkeys.

I had a look into the 2700HGV model lastnight and I expected there to be no firewall etc due to the fact it connects back to them directly via static IP (I.e. no PPOE etc) but there was a Firewall in there and it was on, it lets you do the usual NAT etc also, I still dont trust it though as it has an option on there which lets anything into the actual modem (I presume for their own use) so therefore I was going to put a linux firewall in front of it (Smoothwall FTW) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

You lot are scarin me!

1stly im a techno tard...

2ndly im moving into a Fibre to the home estate shortly, and am getting an 8 meg up 8 meg down line...

i want to run digital Tv over this line alse, will this affect my ping?

i know im making little >> no sense

• Advertisement

Woohoo, my magnet router finally came. I have it connected and am on the net, only prob is i'm in a fibre estate and should be getting 4m up and 4m down, i'm getting 206kbps down and 1088kbps up. My download is slower than my upload. RUBBISH...... not pleased. Also i can't log into my router, anybody know what the full address to type is? Gateway is 85.91.20.1 but typing this into IE doesn't work.

I may start a thread shortly with my anger with Magnet / their customer service etc but I won't just yet....been waiting a week with the modem connected for service and still nothing, a promised call back every day but ... nothing...wouldn't be so annoying apart from the fact I have the Green DSL light and Green Internet light, all they have to do is do something at their end...i.e. provide service...:mad: considering I cancelled my Eircom BB and still had like nearly two months paid for Im even more mad as Magnet said the switch over was quick....boy was that a mistake..two weeks without BB now...

oops got into a rant there as I just got off the phone from another nice lady up there (im collecting their names lol) who promised to .... 'call me back' hehe :D

....ok ignore all that ...right dude just type http://home but you must have it connected by USB as far I know for this alternatively try http://192.168.1.254 the modem should have given you an address via DHCP in the 192.168.1.64 upwards range.

My 2Wire router is giving out dhcp on the range 85.91.20.x not the usual 192.168.1.x

Where do I get drivers to connect the router via Usb? no software whatsoever came with my magnet router..

I may start a thread shortly with my anger with Magnet / their customer service etc but I won't just yet....been waiting a week with the modem connected for service and still nothing, a promised call back every day but ... nothing...wouldn't be so annoying apart from the fact I have the Green DSL light and Green Internet light, all they have to do is do something at their end...i.e. provide service...:mad: considering I cancelled my Eircom BB and still had like nearly two months paid for Im even more mad as Magnet said the switch over was quick....boy was that a mistake..two weeks without BB now...

oops got into a rant there as I just got off the phone from another nice lady up there (im collecting their names lol) who promised to .... 'call me back' hehe :D

....ok ignore all that ...right dude just type http://home but you must have it connected by USB as far I know for this alternatively try http://192.168.1.254 the modem should have given you an address via DHCP in the 192.168.1.64 upwards range.

They don't do dhcp at the 2wire router level. You get a fixed fully routable IP address. You cannot login to the router as magnet remotly manage them.

Looking forward to your tail :)

Later,

Its possible to log in to the 2wire box over usb - you can find the driver for the router/modem on the 2wire website. You can access the box by typing http://home - probably they are not all setup the same but my one seems to be giving my PC an address in the 192.168.1.64+ range (this is over USB)

• Advertisement

Its possible to log in to the 2wire box over usb - you can find the driver for the router/modem on the 2wire website. You can access the box by typing http://home - probably they are not all setup the same but my one seems to be giving my PC an address in the 192.168.1.64+ range (this is over USB)

I will have a go with mine and see if this works.

I can tell you that once Magnet enable it you will not get a NATed address (on the entertainment pack anyway).

Later,

Magnet really have a thing for making everything awkward for people...Knackers.......

Advertisement