Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vent pipe through flat roof

Options
  • 25-04-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I'm constructing a new flat roof and require a soil vent pipe and bathroom extract to pass through it vertically.

Does anybody know who can supply a 4 inch pipe with a flange that can be placed on the roof and felted over to provide a proper seal. I've seen the vent stacks for pitched roofs with the aluminium flashing and rubber seals but am not sure these are suitable for a flat roof.

Any supplier suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Vertical,

I usually made my own using copper, I may have some pressure relief vents that can double as a flashing for a soil stack.

Is there any chance that you can reduce the size of the soil pipe where it exits through the roof or are you venting a long run of pipe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

You could use an air admittance valve rether than putting a vent through the roof. They are available in 4", 2", 1½ to suit common waste pipe sizes.

A link with more info. Venting systems

and some more

air_admittance_valves

Air admittance valves are available from most plumbing suppliers, they are also known as Durgo valves.

For the bathroom extract could you use a flexible pipe, run it in the joists and let it out on the soffit. Their maybe issues with moist air condensing in the flexible pipe (maybe?) but it would mean that your flat roof wouldn't have any holes in it they may leak if they are not properly sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vertical

Thanks RooferPete and Flocker,

I thought about reducing the size of the stack, it would not have been a problem to do so. I also saw the roof vents and they're certainly a possibility for stacks although they generally didn't seem to give a lot of clearance above the roof (this roof will be vented through the side walls so we didn't need to put them in).
    We managed to source suitable ones that fitted 110mm pipes in Brooks. They are similar construction to the aluminium/rubber ones I've seen used on pitched roofs but are more suited to being laid flat.
    I've added an extra one for a pass-through for pipes for solar panels for when I can afford them in the future!

Rgds,
    Vertical

Advertisement