Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire Port shaping question

• 25-04-2006 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how this port shaping/traffic analyser Clearwire uses actually works?

Is it purely port based or based on traffic type?

Strange thing happened this evening. I usually play COD2 on a specific server. They changed servers today and also the port used. On the new server everything went swimmingly for about 20 mins then suddenly the ping (during gameplay) went to hell completely and has been crap ever since.

The old server is still running and the ping (during gameplay) is still fine.

From dos prompt the ping and traceroute to both servers is fine and almost identical bar the last hop.
    In game is when the difference occurs.

Please tell me they dont simply block ports without knowing what traffic is using it.

Anyone have any idea about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

As far as I know they do both; Blocking ports and traffic analysis. Sucks to have clearwire...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

According to the 'engineers' I spoke to in Clearwire during my time with them the vast majority of there meddling in customer traffic is traffic analysis. Hence why it often takes a little bit of time to actually block or heavily curtail whatever traffic you are creating.

However they also told me that they did block specific ports, of that it's mostly the ports the Bit Torrent and other P2P apps would use by default. However they have in the past blocked (to my recollection) ports for online gaming and VOIP.

Oh and to summarise Clearwire's viewpoint on some Network Traffic I was told again by an 'engineer' that gaming on networks such as gamespy or steam and using VOIP is abuse of network resources as they take up too much bandwidth.

I don't believe I have to comment on that but my reply to him was mostly chuckles with the odd expletive inserted :rolleyes:

Advertisement