Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd drive in my mce or dvd player drive ?? which is better?

• 25-04-2006 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

is there any truth to what my mate says that the picture from a proper dvd player is better than the one i get from my dvd rw drive in my MCE?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Maybe, I cant tell the difference. Can you?

I put my dvd player in another room when i got Media Centre set up. Didn't see the point in keeping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

its a very "how long is a piece of string" question TBH.

In most cases, the HTPC will have progressive scanning with a good decoder and an output on S-Video or even VGA. After that you have nice post processing filters that you can use too.

For sure, a decent DVD player connected via component is going to be better than a HTPC with composite, but the difference is a virtue of the signals rather than the sources.

In short, it sounds like BS from your mate, but Id be interested to hear his reasoning behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

++ What SouperComputer said.

It's all about the inputs if you had a DVD player on component that can support progressive scanning and some even upscale to 720/1080 but they are by no means the norm then you should get a decent picture from the DVD.

Personally I could see the difference between a progressive scan DVD player I had on component and the Purevideo DVD decoder and the Purevideo still stomped all over my previous DVD player. Of course not all PC based DVD decoders are equal mind you Purevideo and Avivo are probably the best hands down & I'm not sure any DVD player can match those as they are constantly refined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

As already said, it's down to connections on the HTPC and then what you are comparing it too.

Considering the HTPC will offer much more than a DVD Player/Recorder the my vote is on the HTPC.

For info, mine is connected via DVI-HDMI and auto upscales to 1080i, picture is stunning.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭crowej

yeah i thought it was bs. thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

naturally the difference is more noticable on bigger screens. DVD from a standard player looks okay on a 21" TV, but when I put it on the projector I looks like crap.

Advertisement