Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic required asap

Options
  • 25-04-2006 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Clondalkin area?

I need to get the timing belt changed on my 2000 Golf TDi. My own mechanic down home, who was supposed to do the job one of the last few weekends, has let me down and I'm currently running at 59900 miles since it was last changed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't panic! Its very important to get it done but its not going to snap the second you cross the 60000 mile mark. Its a gradual wear process, not something dramatic and sudden. Get it done as soon as possible alright - but next time schedule it for a thousand or two thousand miles early, takes the pressure off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ASAP is the golden rule. In the meantime don't 'frighten' the engine. Snapping the clutch could put undue pressure on the t-belt. If you are happy with your regular mechanic then make contact with him and arrange a suitable time to get the work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Ah I'm not going to panic. I know it won't snap just cos it's gone over the 60000 mark. I did get it done the last time at around the 58000 mark.

It's looking like the guy down home is going to be no good to me. The only time I'm home is weekends and it's becomming increasingly apparent he doesn't want to do it on a Saturday as he has enough other smaller jobs coming in then. I asked him about 2 months back so as to give him plenty of time to pick a day when things were quiet and I'd drop it up to him (I'm home every weekend and don't use the car at all during the day Saturday).

That leaves me looking for a mechanic up here. Seeing as I don't know any and presume, that due to the large volume of cars and therefore increased volume of work, that it will take a while to get one to slot me in.

Advertisement