Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss cat

• 25-04-2006 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of a problem with my youngest cat at the moment. She is roughly five, and was rescued from drowning at a very young age (a good few weeks before she should have been separated from her mother) so has always been a very clingy cat.

Recently though, she has started to attack me at random, in exactly the same way as she does with my older cat, who she has bullied since she was very small. With my other cat the intention is not to hurt her, it's not a violent attack, just an attempt to well and truely show who is in charge. For example, she will be walking past her and suddenly lash out at her, or go over and bat at her completely unprovoked while the two of them are eating (they're fed separately, for the record).

This is exactly the same behaviour as she is exhibiting towards me at the moment. She will suddenly run at me while I'm walking past and attack my legs, or come over a bite me when I'm on the other side of the room. She does this during games as well, as most cats do, but it's the coming over and doing it while I'm just minding my own business that has me stumped.

I originally put it down to just playfulness, but now it's really beginning to hurt, and can be quite scary on occasion, especially when she follows me and attacks again even after I have tried to fend her off. I am aware that she may well be sensing my weakness and taking advantage, but that leads me to my question.

What on earth could she be doing? Is it possible that she is trying to enforce her rule of terror over me in the same way she does to my other cat? And if so, what should I do about it? I don't want to be forceful with her, but it looks like firm words and standing my ground might be the only option. I have never come across this kind of behaviour with any of my other cats before, nor any cat I've had experience with.

If anyone has had similar experience or could shed some light on the subject I would be most appreciative of any replies.

Note: She doesn't do this to anyone else in the household, only me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Is she speyed ? Cats that aren't speyed or neutered can be a bit more "frisky", can play tougher, and can mark out their territory more obviously - eg. spraying your walls, or just bullying anyone in the house.

Think this is the "kitten" time of year, so if she's more aggressive now, perhaps that's the reason ?

Also... if cats have a health problem, they can lash out if they're subsequently in a bad mood or in pain. I had a cat a while ago that got bad headaches regularly - she lashed out all over the place. When it was noticed that her head got hot (literally) a trip to the vet resulted in a diagnosis of some blood deficiency or something (sorry, was gobbledegook to me at the time) that caused severe headaches. The cat just became angry at those times. Some regular treatment/tablets and she was fine thereafter.

Maybe have the vet do some blood tests on her, see if shes deficient in something ?

Hopefully Cookie or someone else in the know will chime in here, I'm going more on experience than actual knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Thanks for your input franksm.

She is spayed, so this isn't the problem.

Regarding the bad mood bit, she doesn't appear to be in a bad mood or angry at all. She goes about her usual kittenish leaping about and generally being quite happy immediately before and after the "random attacks" occur. She also doesn't appear to be in any pain. There have been various incidents in the past where she has been injured or ill, so I am able to recognise now from her behaviour if there is something wrong.

Thanks very much for the info though, I might look into blood tests for her if another solution does not present itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Alrighty :D That's my cat knowledge exhausted, I just feed them and play with them

Have a look here in the meantime:

http://www.messybeast.com/catarchive.htm#health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

No expert either, I just cut and paste from Jan's web site:D She is a feline behaviourist, calling may not be a good idea as I know she is up to her eyes in cats, but you could try or drop her a line via the web site. www.kittenadoption.ie.

Good luck Claire X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

thick jeans a nasty hiss and chase her back!, if your brave puts on gloves and swipe at her. Is there anything she is afraid of like the sound of the hoover or hairdrier?.

• Advertisement

thick jeans a nasty hiss and chase her back!, if your brave puts on gloves and swipe at her. Is there anything she is afraid of like the sound of the hoover or hairdrier?.
    I was afraid it might come to that :( I really do think she's just being territorial.
    No, she's not really afraid of much at all. In fact I quite often worry that she's too fearless, she sometimes crosses the busy road to come and wait for me when I'm getting off the bus.

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far, especially for the links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I suppose you give her lots of attention but maybe in her mind she wants more of it? Maybe extend play time? Get her a new toy?

morgana wrote:
    I suppose you give her lots of attention but maybe in her mind she wants more of it? Maybe extend play time? Get her a new toy?
    She's never bloody away from me! :p This may be a point though. Funny way to go about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

as Claire suggested the best thing would be to get in touch with Jan through the website - she is up to her eyes & hand rearing kittens at the moment but can guarantee that when she gets a spare second to get back to you her advice will be fantastic - always is!

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keating

Maybe if you completely ignore her when she does this - don't even make eye contact. When I first got my cats their play time started as soon as I turned off the light at night! I was constantly getting up to get one cat down from hanging out of the curtains or the other from some tight corner he got himself into!! I then thought they are getting my attention all the time so I ignored them - I had to lie there hearing what they were getting up to!!! It only lasted about five days and now as soon as I turn off the light they go to their own beds!!!

I did read somewhere though that if a cat suddently starts acting out of character they could be trying to tell you there's something wrong.

• Advertisement

I have tried the ignoring her approach, and to no avail. She just carries on, and after a certain amount of time it becomes impossible to ignore fangs and claws piercing your skin from various different angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

She sounds as if she's getting possessive of you and neurotic. Is this possible?

If you don't want her to attack you, you could carry around a spray - the kind for misting plants - and give her a blast of it in the face when she comes at you. It won't hurt her, but she won't like it, and you'll make your point.

(It may be good fun for her if you yell and freak out, and she may continue to bite in the hopes of getting a good yell.)

luckat wrote:
    (It may be good fun for her if you yell and freak out, and she may continue to bite in the hopes of getting a good yell.)
    Exactly! This is what has been happening. I was going to say that she seems to almost enjoy me shrieking in pain, but thought it sounded too ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I doubt she enjoys the pain, but she probably thinks it's part of a game you both enjoy. A quick spray in the face should disabuse her of the notion. She'll be insulted and furious, but you can give her plenty of *gentle* petting when she's gentle, and lay off any wild games with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Have you had her vet checked?

One of my cats has a recurring illness and when she's in pain she shows it by stalking, biting and generally being aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Diarmiud

morgana wrote:

Toys are great for cats. Theyre a great distraction.

Having two female cats together can be very risky at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭pantar_dubh

Diarmiud wrote:
    Toys are great for cats. Theyre a great distraction.

Having two female cats together can be very risky at times.

Cat fight?

The thing is to get the right toy. They can be fickle and just toss aside anything that doesnt interest them. Must get Catnip aftershave

luckat wrote:
    I doubt she enjoys the pain, but she probably thinks it's part of a game you both enjoy. A quick spray in the face should disabuse her of the notion. She'll be insulted and furious, but you can give her plenty of *gentle* petting when she's gentle, and lay off any wild games with her.
    I meant she enjoys the noise I make, not the fact that I'm in pain. She seems to get excited by it, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep quiet. I'll get working on that to begin with.

Arcadian wrote:
    Have you had her vet checked?

One of my cats has a recurring illness and when she's in pain she shows it by stalking, biting and generally being aggressive.
    She has had several health checks in the last year or so and nothing has shown up, but I will arrange for another one if her behaviour continues after I have tried all the other suggestions.

• Advertisement

Diarmiud wrote:
    The thing is to get the right toy. They can be fickle and just toss aside anything that doesnt interest them. Must get Catnip aftershave

Purrrrrrrr.:p

Thats a must now. I shall become a perfumed dandy.

Sniff, sniff.

Advertisement