Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet sharing problems over Ad-hoc Wireless network

• 25-04-2006 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

This is a pretty complex one so please bear with me. Firs of all i will explain the current network in our house.

Basically we have a unix box that serves as a router/firewall/server for 5 pc's in the house over cat5 and a hub.

My PC lan settings are:

IP: 192.168.123.8
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.123.1 <
    Unix box ip

DNS: 62.241.162.xxx
    DNS2: 62.241.163.xxx

I have a USB wireless adapter connected to this pc with the following settings:

IP: 192.168.0.1
    Gateway: ???????????? dont know

DNS: ???????????? dont know
    DNS2: ???????????? dont know

I also have checked the 'allow other users to connect through this computers internet connection'

Then theres my laptop with integrated wireless.

Its settings are:

IP: 192.168.0.2
    Gateway: ???????????? dont know

DNS: ???????????? dont know
    DNS2: ???????????? dont know

The wireless connection between the PC and laptop works(ad-hoc), in that i can ping one from the other, however i cant see anything in the LAN beyond the PC from the laptop, nor can i connect to the internet.
    I also want to be able to get to the unix server and other peoples sharde folders on the LAN from the laptop.

Anyone have any ideas as to what i should be setting the DNS on the wireless cards to? or if its even possible.

If i didn't explain clearly let me know.

Thanks in a advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

WEP is disabled.

Ive also tried automatically detect ip's on both wireless'. I get the same results, i can see the pc but nothing beyond.

I've also tried cheching the 'share internet' box on the network card of the pc instead of on the usb wireless adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Can u post ur DHCP server conf file

and ur iptables firewall settings file ?

and we will see what we can do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I managed to get it sorted.

I bridged the wireless and the nic, but that didn't work at all.
    Then i came accross a force compatibility mode using the command: 'netsh bridge set a 1 e' where 1 is the number of the wireless adapter from 'netsh bridge show'.

Never heard of that command before but it worked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

oooh interesting. Good find there. Never seen that myself but must remember it for future reference. Not that you get many ad hoc wireless internet sharing connections around here.:p

Found an article detailing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

I did this with xp before but found the latentacy spiked when the machine running the bridge was under any kind of load.

not a problem unless ur gameing

Sorry i thought you were doing this in linux.

One thing to note is firewalls like zonealarm can block this so keep an eye on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe if you stuck a wifi card in the linux box (since it probably on all the time anyway) , to act as an AP it would be better , and it would save you buying an access point ?

Advertisement