Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Job - not good enough?

• 25-04-2006 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

With Sven-Goran Eriksson leaving the post after the World Cup, and with one of the biggest / probably the best pool of good (some great) players to pick from.. is the England Job - not good enough for the Football Managers around the world.

Instead they (FA) have Sam Allardyce / Alan Curbishley / Steve McClaren linked to the job. ... not the biggest managers in the world in all fairness...

the F.A have ruled Guus Hiddink - not good enough.. Luiz Felipe Scolari seems ruled out..

I thought (even before tonight’s result) - Arsene Wenger would have been head hunted for the Job... with David Dein involved in the process. but his hasnt been entioned...

Has the English Media destroyed the chance of a "Big Name", with the handing of Sven?

why hasn’t the big names in football management not been linked to the job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The English public and managers and players and others from within the game have through the media ensured an English man is picked. So anyone who can read or watch tv knows this.

And you named the best 3 english managers and not a meaningful trophy between them, but its possibly whats needed to get all those fantastic players to play together.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What England need is a strong manager that will pick the best team instead of the best/most valuable/most popular 11 players available. God forbid that Sven should drop one of Lampard/Gerrard let alone Beckham when he was playing badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If anything Dein would keep them away from Wenger. When they were appointing Eriksson, Dein kept Wenger out of the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

please dont give it to an english manager,plain and simple.not good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't rule out Big Phil just yet even if the FA are making life hard for themselves over his possible appointment

Good article here

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

the 3 english managers dont have much in thier respective thropy cabnits but the FA are trying to do what the fans want and apoint and englishman who will pride and passion to manage them but they making a mistake IMO.

they need a top name coach who wont be afraid to shake it up(drop becks and break up lampard/gerard and bring carrick in) and i dont see any of those 3 doing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Wouldn't drop becks, not that i like the guy (any footballer with his own brand of perfume must be a twat) but he's definately one of the best passers of the ball in the world and is worth having on the team even if just for his ability at free kicks.
    But yeah the manager would have to switch gerrard and lampard as they don't work together though i'm not to sure if carrick would work with em either as he's a more attack minded cm as well i think, maybe with gerrard but not lampard anyway.

Problem in England is that the media pick the team, its that simple, unless the manager can stand up to em and forge his own team i think its simply down to player management skills, don't think the 3 england managers are capable of handling a bunch of players with egos the size of elephants. Martin O'Neill is probably the best candidate at the moment but maybe he's not English for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Sun have a fairly convincing story tonight, they say the FA committee are in Lisbon this evening for a chat and a cuppa with Big Phil. It seems they want him and he wants the job.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

http://home.skysports.com/
    on the ball there mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Apparently according to the radio this morning big Phil is a done deal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Wouldn't drop becks, not that i like the guy (any footballer with his own brand of perfume must be a twat) but he's definately one of the best passers of the ball in the world and is worth having on the team even if just for his ability at free kicks.
    But yeah the manager would have to switch gerrard and lampard as they don't work together though i'm not to sure if carrick would work with em either as he's a more attack minded cm as well i think, maybe with gerrard but not lampard anyway.

Problem in England is that the media pick the team, its that simple, unless the manager can stand up to em and forge his own team i think its simply down to player management skills, don't think the 3 england managers are capable of handling a bunch of players with egos the size of elephants. Martin O'Neill is probably the best candidate at the moment but maybe he's not English for them!

i wasnt saying that beckham should be dropped totally but to have the balls to drop him when he isnt playing well!

carrick likes to spray passes around and i just think IMO that he'd be a better option in beside gerard than lampard! he'd be better going back than almpard would too!

Advertisement