Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AAI jobs for event coordinators

Options
  • 25-04-2006 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭

AAI are seeking applications for the part time posts of National Event Coordinators. There are five positions available; 1 Sprints & Hurdles, 2 Endurance, 3 Walks, 4 Jumps and 5 Throws

2 jobs to cover all the field events and one each for endurance and walking.

What do you think?

Should walking come under the aegis of the AAI?

(I don't want to prejudice the discussion, but I think not)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

Slow coach wrote:
    Should walking come under the aegis of the AAI?

Well it is an event in the World Athletics Championships...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Perhaps I should have asked if walking should be under the aegis of the IAAF?

But the original question stands:

What do you think?

Slow coach wrote:
    Perhaps I should have asked if walking should be under the aegis of the IAAF?
    Agreed, perhaps you should have. If you had, perhaps I would have said 'yes'.

Slow coach wrote:
    But the original question stands:

What do you think?
    If the job was coaching it would be necessary to divide the events up differently. But considering the job is that of coordinator I think the grouping is logical.

Maars wrote:
    If the job was coaching it would be necessary to divide the events up differently. But considering the job is that of coordinator I think the grouping is logical.

You think there is a smaller difference between Pole Vault and Triple Jump, say, than between running and running slowly (aka Walking)? Surely running and walking are both endurance events?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

I see your point about jumping, Slow Coach, but there's absolutely no similarity between endurance running and walking. Walking is an extremely technical event - endurance running isn't. (I have no connection with either jumping, walking or endurance running, so I've no axe to grind here.)

• Advertisement

I see your point about jumping, Slow Coach, but there's absolutely no similarity between endurance running and walking. Walking is an extremely technical event - endurance running isn't. (I have no connection with either jumping, walking or endurance running, so I've no axe to grind here.)

But it's not about coaching, as the previous poster said.

And you can hardly get more technical than Pole Vault or Triple Jump.

I disagree that there's absolutely no similarity between endurance and walking. Many walkers also train and compete as runners, so there must be a lot of overlap. I trained for a short period before my first walking race, and got through it ok. I can't imagine saying the same about the Pole Vault or other field events. I wouldn't call walking extremely technical.

Slow coach wrote:
    You think there is a smaller difference between Pole Vault and Triple Jump, say, than between running and running slowly (aka Walking)? Surely running and walking are both endurance events?

Did I say that? My point is that for a "coordinator" the technical nuances are not relevant. I expect a coordinator would be more concerned about the logistics of an event, for example, where is the event held? on the track? in the field? on the roads?

Advertisement