Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crappy OnBoard Video Controller Probelm

Options
  • 25-04-2006 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hey Guys,
    Just wondering if you could help me or not. I own a Hp Pavillion Dv1355ea laptop. It has a Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS onboard video controller.

Now, I'm trying to get some sort of playable fps out of CounterStrike Source but I'm not getting very far. The best I've gotten so far is 20fps with settings down to the bottom, but it averages around 15.

Now I know that its a rubbish graphics controler, and that it uses shared memory, but its there that I have the problem. The memory that it uses is meant to be "Dynamically" changed to suit the computers needs, from 8MB - 128MB. Seeing as its a ****e controller, struggling with CSS stripped bare you'd think that it'd be using the full 128 when doing anything stressful in the least but while running the Video Stress Test option in CSS and checking the Information panel in "Intel's Graphics Media Accelerator for Mobile",(which avareged at 18.56fps by the way), it told me it was only using 26MB out of the 128MB available to it... TWENTY SIX?? Your having a larf right? There's me scripting CSS so that I have models running around with no eyes or teeth, palm tree's that look like zeplins, and magically disappearing cartridges and the Media accelerator decides it only needs 30 odd megs of video RAM....

Can anyone please try explain this to me?

So far I haven't been able to find a way to set/change the memory allocation to the video controller manually, I've had a good route around, bios won't let me so anything either.

Oh and before you ask, I have a gig of ram. I think I forgot to say that up there :o

Any thoughts how I can improve my fps? or increase the shared video memory?

All the best,
    cheers,
    esmurph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Bad news is the bios is where the manual memory allocation is set and HP it seems thought it a good idea to disable this feature if you already checked and found nothing. Though I doubt it would have too much of a difference to begin with.

The Intel integrated graphics are a pile of poo, no other words can describe it so well I think.

Your best bet is to download the latest graphics card driver for the Intel GMA950 and see if that improves anything or opens up any other options in the control panel.

If your not make sure anything 3D runs at 640x480 don't even try anything higher, its been a while since I actually looked into the Intel control panel for one of these things (I'll check it out tomorrow) but see if there is an option to adjust the texture filter quality (probably not) and set it to the mode that runs the fastest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

your best bet is to look on ebay or somewhere similar and try and find a ati 9700 9800 pro, should only cost about 40€ at most, and will be able to play at almost full detail, no hdr obviously as these cards dont support such fancy things like sm3 and the likes, but it will hit you up to about 60-70 fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

anti wrote:
    your best bet is to look on ebay or somewhere similar and try and find a ati 9700 9800 pro, should only cost about 40€ at most, and will be able to play at almost full detail, no hdr obviously as these cards dont support such fancy things like sm3 and the likes, but it will hit you up to about 60-70 fps.

It's a laptop he has so thats not really an option. ;)

My friend has the same integrated controller and with the latest drivers we managed to get Pariah, which has similar requirements to CS:S, running smoothly at 800x600 with options on medium. You should be able to get CS:S running smoothly, at least, if not prettily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

HavoK wrote:
    It's a laptop he has so thats not really an option. ;)

My friend has the same integrated controller and with the latest drivers we managed to get Pariah, which has similar requirements to CS:S, running smoothly at 800x600 with options on medium. You should be able to get CS:S running smoothly, at least, if not prettily.

whoops there, thats what i get for not reading the whole post :o

Advertisement