Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview clothes for an 18 year old

• 25-04-2006 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I'm an 18 year old girl and am currently doing loads of job interviews. I have a mixture of different types of places that I've applied for so a lot of different kinds of outfits are needed. I've already figured out what to wear for all the retail places, just the more formal positions are what I need to tackle now. I don't think a suit would be appropriate for me at all. I have a pair of fitted black trousers that I think look smart enough. I can't afford a whole new outfit as I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment but could anyone suggest outfits that would be suitable for interviews? If you've seen any cheap shirts or anything that looks stylish and formal please let me know.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As far I know, skirts are wholly appropriate, so long as they're knee length or lower, and no slit up the sides. It's very possible to get "business" skirts.

You can get a more casual suit - you know the type - fitted trousers, ladies' suit jacket and a ladies' shirt (no tie, quite loose). I have yet to meet a woman for whom one of these is not appropriate (and that's not in the leering sense, I just think most if not all women can look well in these).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

seamus wrote:

You can get a more casual suit - you know the type - fitted trousers, ladies' suit jacket and a ladies' shirt (no tie, quite loose). I have yet to meet a woman for whom one of these is not appropriate (and that's not in the leering sense, I just think most if not all women can look well in these).

I agree, I think the casual suit goes down a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Will it look ok on me as I'm quite young? I'm afraid I'd just look like a little girl playing dress up

LadyLotts wrote:
    Will it look ok on me as I'm quite young? I'm afraid I'd just look like a little girl playing dress up

What height are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

5 foot 6 or 7.

• Advertisement

LadyLotts wrote:
    5 foot 6 or 7.

It should look fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Nay Connor

Hi there!

I think we're rather lucky here, in that standards have begun to ease up a little over the years and it's no longer entirely necessary to dress very formally for an interview. You mentioned black trousers and they are always a great staple of any wardrobe but a splash of colour works wonders. Pairing plain trousers with a less formal (but still smart) top can do a lot for interview appearances: it shows you stand out from the crowd and aren't afraid to act on your own initiative. Also, a bright colour suggests self-confidence, a meritorious trait as far as prospective employers are concerned. I guess the key is keeping it simple, if you use such a top it's important not to go overboard with crazy patterns, or if you go for a plain suit, try some cool acessories like chunky beads or pretty shoes.
    Good luck,
    Nay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

I think get a nice black pencil skirt and a white blouse from top shop or somewhere like that,no need to break the bank.
    Match those with a black jacket and black shoes and some tan tights which im sure you have those at home,and i think you will look very presentable to any employer at a first appearence.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

penneys and zara do lovely formal but up to date stuff thats great for interview/office work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i picked up a snazzy pinstrip jacket in No Name on henry st for four, yes thats right FOUR euro.
    well pleased with myself, its a lovely fit and i can just wear it with jeans or whatever. if you already have fitted trousers, something like that and a casual shirt would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Well since yer strapped Id defo recommend a trip to penneys , Not great quality but ya should be able to come up with some kind of interview outfit , Ah Id stick to the old reliable black pants black shoes black jacket , not too pushed on the shirt , Penneys should be able to provide all the above fairly cheap , Penneys is defo yer friend when it comes to work clothes especially pants and shirts and then dress them up with a nice jacket or bag :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 daisy25

Hiya!
    I was in the same situation a couple of months ago. Got a really nice black suit in Vero Moda for €50 for jacket and pants. Its a gorgeous fitted suit and doesnt look too formal or grown up! Dunno if they still have them, but if you enquire im sure they can track one for you. It was my best buy this year anyway!

Advertisement