Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater then 2meg symmetric service? does it exist ?

• 25-04-2006 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

im looking for something greater then 2meg. it must be symmetric.

im currently on ibb breeze 2meg, but they want €85 for 3meg and €100+ for 4meg - this must be a joke ... right ?

any suggestions? the upload is a must. the cost would preferably be lower then what ibb is quoting.

closest i can seem to find at the moment is ntls offering - 6meg down but only 384k up - for €40 a month capped @ 40gigs! (the uploads not enough and the cap is .. too low!)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

NTL 6 (actually 10) is 512 up. Atleast that's what my modem stats pages says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I think IBB are the only place you can get symmetrical speeds. You certainly can't on DSL or cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

paulm17781 wrote:
    NTL 6 (actually 10) is 512 up. Atleast that's what my modem stats pages says.
    what do you mean 'actually 10' ???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

persian wrote:
    what do you mean 'actually 10' ???

They advertise it as 6m, but the modems actually connect at 10m and you get close to 10m a lot of the time.

They seem to be only guaranteeing 6m, which is fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Magnet and BT do SDSL , guess what the first S stands for in SDSL

• Advertisement

Business customers only presumably. Any idea how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fintan.moloney

Im sure they would put it into a home but you would pay a hell of a lot more for it than what the wireless operators are charging...your best bet is to look into them as they offer up to 4MB/4MB connections from what I have seen alternatively if you live in a fibre to the home area Magnet offer 24MB/24MB connections for home (they claim to but Ive not heard from anyone who has it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You should also have an SLA then, so you should have a smoother ride overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Depending where you are Smart offer business users a repackaged Eircom package which will give you a 10Mb Symetrical connections. This will cost you though and you need to have access or be close to a fibre pipe too.
    Possibly not what you are looking for but it does answer you original post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I used IBB's 3Mbps service and got about 1Mbps. I used IBB's 4Mbps service in another location and got anything from 300kbps to 4Mbps, usually somewhere inbetween. Don't pay those guys extra for speed, it ain't worth it.

The SDSL guys usually offer leased line performance and they're priced accordingly. Typically significantly cheaper than eircom's equivalent leased line prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't see how IBB can offer 2/2 for €48 per month and then want €85 for 3/3 ...

I really need the upload and don't want to settle for anything less then 1meg, more if possible.

I'll get onto BT and see if they can offer anything - without me being a business or paying premium business rates.

Cheers for the feedback - anything else would be great.

IBB prob offer much lower contention rates on a 3Mb package. Interestingly enough I have the IBB 2Mb package. However after a recent outage my upload is now 5Mb. No idea why, just is.:D Bet you'd give ur right arm for my account!

IBBs lower contention overing is €129 for 3/3

I stand corrected. Does seem quite a leap in price alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fintan.moloney

Yeah I think that brings you from 48:1 to 20:1 but the price jump is quite a lot...the other alternative although its totally way overpriced is a dedicated line - but even a T1 is only 1.5/1.5 although is un contented so you are getting that speed 100% of the time, next step up is T3 45/45MB/s but thats clearly not an option here hehe ;)

From what I can see it's nearly cheaper to get two 2/2 breezes packages and bridge them together using a linux box in my house... all for only €96.40 per month! As opposed to €85(ish) for an overpriced 3/3 line.

When I first got it 2/2 for €48.40 a month was a great deal - much like when I was with Netsource before on their "unlimited cap". But as the months go by and IBB don't keep their prices and packages up to par and moving forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

aDSL = assymetric by definition since most people need much less up than down it is a good use of BW.

sDSL - symetrical DSL. Same up and down.

Both do the same max Up + Down, so max speed SDSL is slower that aDSL max download for same line. You can't beat the physics!

watty wrote:
    You can't beat the physics!
    Chuck Norris can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

bk wrote:
    They advertise it as 6m, but the modems actually connect at 10m and you get close to 10m a lot of the time.

They seem to be only guaranteeing 6m, which is fair enough.
    *Prays for ntl to become available in area*

Advertisement