Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defecting!

Options
  • 26-04-2006 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Will be moving from the Southside to the Northside soon. (Even if it is just barely accross the river). Has anyone else here made such a daring move in either direction? How was the culture shock?

This is tongue in cheek, btw, should your detector thereof be down

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My brother's about to do the same thing! But since he hasn't done it yet, I can't offer you any advice :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Don't really know anyone who's gone in that direction, but there's a couple of ex-norries at work who became southsiders and are continually mocked for it by their norrie friends. (There again, the jokes tend to be of the form "betcha don't even remember how to burn out a car properly", so I'm not sure who's actually being laughed at...)

Aside from having to do the following from time to time, I can't see you having too hard a time settling in :
    • wear a Celtic jersey with every sign of enjoyment
    • set fire to the odd car/house/old granny
    • occasionally say things like "'bowtcha BOOOOOOY!" in a ridiculously high-pitched voice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's "dowtcha boy", dimwitted foreign boy. (Or "Fez", as you will be known from this point on).

I was in Cork North Central electoral district and didn't mind it there at all, if that's any help. Course, at the time I was living on the south bank of the south branch of the river, but sure it wouldn't be Cork if some corrupt, ignorant, fat f*ck didn't try his hand at a little gerrymandering like!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

while i have never overnighted north of the river, i have made a number of trips to that part of the world.
    Drive fast and you'll be ok, they have a hardtime nicking hubcaps when you go over forty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Fysh wrote:
    [*]occasionally say things like "'bowtcha BOOOOOOY!" in a ridiculously high-pitched voice[/list]

Heh, that made me roffle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

i did,its fine depends where your moving and on your neighbours like everywhere else in the city!only thing about the northside is cheaper rent in places.i think its fine,no problems

Ah, I'm not actually worried about it! It's a nice apt just on the riverbank and anyway, my father is from the north side so it's a homecoming in a way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Yeah, my apt was a nice place on the riverbank... until the local street urchins discovered it.

Well, this one is on the fourth floor so if there's any hassle, I can pour boiling oil from the balcony! :eek: :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You'd better keep a vat of it by the window just in case...!

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    Well, this one is on the fourth floor so if there's any hassle, I can pour boiling oil from the balcony! :eek: :o
    See, you're fitting in already! All you're short now is a burned out Fiesta outside the door!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i might be able to find you a moped to burn out. start small like

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tree wrote:
    i might be able to find you a moped to burn out. start small like

No, see that's just what they want you to do, because then they can do the whole escalation thing. Whereas if you start off by burning out, oh, say, a bus or an oil tanker outside the place, the local lads will know not to mess with you. There's a danger of making it too much of a challenge for up-and-comers though, so you can't set the bar too high.

See, there's a lot more psychology to burning out stuff than people give credit for. It's a dying art form, I maintain....

how much room do we have outside the house though. i reckon a bus would have to be made by matchbox to fit on the footpath, now a moped... you could mount on your frontdoor

Mmmm, mount.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Mmmm, mount.

I will say this adam, you're the only guy I know who'd quite happily drool over himself thinking about mounting a bus...

Bus?

i think it was a moped, not a bus

Advertisement