Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound/PSU

Options
  • 26-04-2006 6:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Howdy all

I've got my new rig planned out (as you can see below :rolleyes:) but I can't decide what to do with sound. I already have my faithful SB Audigy 5.1 card (over two years old now). The DFI mobo has a 7.1 high-definition Karajan audio module with it. I'll be using this computer mostly for gaming and music so I'll need good quality sound.

Should I keep my Audigy or switch over to the module? Or should I go and fork out an extra hundred euro for a new card such as the SB X-Fi?

Also, could anyone tell me if a 700W PSU is going overboard? What would be the best wattage judging by what I have in my sig?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

700 sounds about right for that high specced rig

also soundcard depends on how much you like decent sound. The onboard sound is supposed to be good but personally id never use onboard sound and your soundcard is pretty dated.
    if I were you id get a new xfi soundcard, not the dearest in the bunch something like this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312204
    or http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312204

all depends how much you want to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

cockmynut wrote:
    Athlon64 FX-60 (Dual Core) @ 2.85GHz | DFI LanParty UT RDX200 CF-DR | Radeon X1900XTX 512 @ 680MHz | Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM (red light SATA cable) | OCZ Platinum PC3200 2048MB @ 420MHz | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 EAX | WaterChill KT12A-12VX (red UV coolant) | Fortron Source Epsilon 700W PSU | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Black (Modded) | Windows XP Home SP2 | Red Cold Cathode

nice rig man how much it cost you ? hmm looks like wizzards got a competator.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Get the X-Fi I have a fat1lity and its sound quality is great. The 24 bit crystaliser is terrific. Need good speakers for it. The Fatility model has 64 Mb ram onboard to buffer sounds but dont know how that inpacts in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cockmynut

awhir wrote:
    nice rig man how much it cost you ? hmm looks like wizzards got a competator.:D

About three grand so far. It's my first self-built/modded rig so I think it'll be a while before I catch up on Wizzard. :rolleyes:

The X-Fi looks good, I think I might buy it a while after I get the rest working since I'm broke now. :D

Advertisement