Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band of brothers 2

• 26-04-2006 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hopefully not a repost, But the guys who did band of brothers are going at it again. its called the pacific war and obviously enough set in the pacific war in WW2.

No release date as of yet. I cant wait. more info here--->http://www.the-pacific-war.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

oooh very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I much perfer the European theatre of operations be it in Films, Games or TV Shows, but I will definately be looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

So this isn't based on a book?
    I loved Band Of Brothers, but I think I'll be fairly sceptical of this until I see proof that it isn't just a cash-in of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

Ya it doesnt seem to be allright well heres hoping..

on a differnet note i seen this book on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0425208133/sr=1-1/qid=1146056221/ref=sr_1_1/002-3201182-3206450?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

anyone read it ?

Bout dick winters after ww2.

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Excellent - i loved the first one. Do prefer the European theatre though.

This hasn't changed in a while:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

didn't winters go off to the pacific?
    i dont expect him to be in it, but it'd be interesting if he had a cameo..

No, he requested the transfer, but was denied and stayed with 2nd Battalion till the 101st was deactivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Problem with BOB was it was about a bunch of prissy americans bleating about how hard it was fighting a hodgepodge of 3rd rate German units thrown together to stem the allied invasion, whom they just about managed to defeat utilising enormous air, artillery and armour superiority.

I'd like to see a series made with BOB budget and production values, but about the experiences of a German unit on the Eastern Front. Now that would be interesting viewing.

I was watching one of those "WW2 survivors" things on Discovery, and they had the usual american veterans tearing up at the very mention of the war, then had some German Stalingrad survivors cheerfully describing how you could take out a T34 with a petrol bomb if you lay down, waited for it to drive over you, then smashed it into the engine vents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭klash

magpie wrote:
    Problem with BOB was it was about a bunch of prissy americans bleating about how hard it was fighting a hodgepodge of 3rd rate German units thrown together to stem the allied invasion, whom they just about managed to defeat utilising enormous air, artillery and armour superiority.

I'd like to see a series made with BOB budget and production values, but about the experiences of a German unit on the Eastern Front. Now that would be interesting viewing.

I was watching one of those "WW2 survivors" things on Discovery, and they had the usual american veterans tearing up at the very mention of the war, then had some German Stalingrad survivors cheerfully describing how you could take out a T34 with a petrol bomb if you lay down, waited for it to drive over you, then smashed it into the engine vents.

100% right. I wouldn't say it was particularly easy for the yanks either, but it all fairness it was more or less kicking the germans while they were down. The Eastern front is where it all happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

magpie wrote:
    Problem with BOB was it was about a bunch of prissy americans bleating about how hard it was fighting a hodgepodge of 3rd rate German units...
    Blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes: Like you'd be a hero in any battle in WW2, a bit of respect tbh.

Hopefully it'll make for good viewing, but BOB was a remake of a documentry by Stephen Ambrose; lets hope they can find some decent researchers for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

I agree,

Soldiers on the eastern front had it so rough on both the soviet and german sides. I recently read stalingrad by anthony beevor. It really goes into depth about conditions and the reality of the battle before during and after.

Linky->http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670870951/104-9234989-4666302?v=glance&n=283155

M

mjquinno wrote:
    I agree,

Soldiers on the eastern front had it so rough on both the soviet and german sides. I recently read stalingrad by anthony beevor. It really goes into depth about conditions and the reality of the battle before during and after.

Linky->http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670870951/104-9234989-4666302?v=glance&n=283155

M
    You should read his follow up - Berlin. It's not as good, but well worth getting the "other half" of the story.

Disregarding the arguing over which army had it worst in WWII, Band Of Brothers wasn't strictly speaking about the war, it was about what happened a group of guys who became uncharacteristically close during the war.

I don't think it'd be possible to achieve that with any outfit on the Eastern Front. And by that I mean any Soviet outfit, because let's face it, if it was made, it wouldn't be about the Germans.
    As far as I know, and I'm open to correction on this, the Soviet army didn't send it's wounded back to their original units, they sent them to wherever they were needed.
    The reason BoB worked so well was because the cast became known so well over the course of the series. How would you do that for a bunch of ever-changing conscripts ?

neGev wrote:
    Band Of Brothers wasn't strictly speaking about the war, it was about what happened a group of guys who became uncharacteristically close during the war. ...The reason BoB worked so well was because the cast became known so well over the course of the series. How would you do that for a bunch of ever-changing conscripts ?
    Excelent point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

"Frank is my best friend. Oh, he's been shot. Tom is my new best friend. Oh, he's been shot. Phil is my best friend now. Oh, he's been shot."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

They made Das Boot, so why not a series about German soldiers on the Eastern Front? Its not like Stalin's regime was any better, and the Red Army were no strangers to shooting civilians, captives etc.

You could easily have a series about the experiences of 7th Army survivors, starting in the 1930s, going through the fall of Stalingrad, their experiences on the long March into captivity in Siberia and then working as slave labour in a Soviet Gulag, and their eventual return to Germany in the 1950s - how they were received and how the world had changed.

Bit more meat to it than a group of pampered americans who saw action for less than a year against an already beaten enemy in Western Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MyStuffForSale

Filmed by Sam Peckinpah Cross of Iron is a gritty look at German soldiers retreating from the Eastern front. James Coburn as main lead. Don't know whetheir German film has been made about this.I guess The Wehrmachtt is too badly associated with SS, for the creation of a TV series examining their war experiences.

Probably the best German series looking at the War and it's aftermath is Heimat, a triology which views life in Germany between 1919 and 2000 through the experiences of one family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

magpie wrote:

Absolute bo11ox mate, you talking out of your arse.
    I'm sure you'd love being shot at, shelled, your mates and comrades getting blown up in front of you. Big hard man are ye?

War, no matter what side your on, is probably the most terrifying thing a young man could ever experience. To call them "prissy americans" is bang out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

'a group of pampered americans who saw action for less than a year against an already beaten enemy in Western Europe'.

hmm yea, i think the germans were far from already beaten. if it wasnt for those 'pampered' americans we'd probably be under some form of third reich now. You're an idiot.
    why would an american company which probably wants to make some profit from a t.v series, do one involving germans, which would hold no interest for the vast majority of their viewers.
    why is there always people ready to tear down yanks no matter what its in relation to. I mean i like to slag the americans as much as the next guy, when its called for. but its just pathetic that you're trying to water down their involvement in the war to justify your anti-american stance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Getting back to the point, has there been any recent news on this new series? The 'Latest News' section hasn't been updated in over a year, has it gone into production or what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement