Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry after penalty miss...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Think as pointed out last night from where the ref was standing when Clichy bumbed into Jose Mari it looked like a push. I know Jose Mari fell like he was shot but they all do this on in foreign leagues and Im sure if Pires was in the same situation he would go down, maybe not with such good acting.

Think also you should look that it was Clichy who put himself in that situation when he missed the ball puttin it up into the Sky and then hit Jose Mari when he was trying to head it away. If he had cleared properly in the first instance we wouldnt need to talk about this.

Anyway wouldnt give out too much, see what happened to Milan last night with a perfectly good goal

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Big Nelly wrote:
    Watched it last night and Sky and yes Henry did punch the air, but it wasnt aimed at the player, he had his back to him......punched the air a few times but then ran up the pitch. Think you will have seen a few players do this. Riquelma wasnt even looking at him it just happened that Henry was the closest player because the rest had ran over to congratulate Lehmann......

Think its someone just trying to nit pick with Henry. Of course the players are going to celebrate when there keeper has saved a peno in the dying minutes of the Champions League. What you think they are going to do? walk away and say "Well done Chap"....

I still think it was aimed at Ruquelme. He has every right to congratulate Lehman, but imo it was out of order to do it near and facing Riquelme.

Football is a contact sport, a shoulder to shoulder challenge is allowed, but the penno challenge wasn't shoulder to shoulder! If it happened outside the box it would be a free, so don't see the difference for it bein inside the box! He mite have went down easy, I said above that i didn't think it was a penno in real time!

anyway hope the best team wins on May 17th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I still think it was aimed at Ruquelme. He has every right to congratulate Lehman, but imo it was out of order to do it near and facing Riquelme.

He was at the side of Riquelme, Riquelme was in pure shock so prob didnt even see him. Football is a passion sport, what you expect him to do? walk up the pitch and then show his emotions so he doesnt hurt the feeling of a player on the opposite team?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

(1) He wasn't pushed, Clichy made contact with him in an attempt to play the ball himself. Jose Mari kept his feet on the ground anticipating the youngster to go for the ball and making no effort to do the same, and at first contact went down. Some may say it was experience, but either way it's diving.

I distinctly remember many people on this forum saying that when contact is made with a player and he goes down then that is not considered diving. Almost every game in the Premiership there is a free given when contact is made with a player and he goes down even though he could easily have stayed on his feet. Clichey went to head the ball but missed it and jumped into Josi Mari who then went down. I dont agree that it was a penalty in the same way that I think its a dive when someone goes down easy after slight contact is made. Fact is though that free kicks are given when players go down easy all the time so why should this incident be viewed any differently to the countless other incidents of players going down easy.

It shouldnt. If you want to be consistant then it was a penalty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement