Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody tried using/making biofuels

Options
  • 26-04-2006 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I was scouring the web for info on biodiesel in particular and came across a few sites that showed you how to make biodiesel from new or used oil.
    This oil could be coming from a McDonalds after 12 hours of frying chips and you could still convert it to a form that your car could burn(without screwing or clogging any engine components)

Her is a link to one site(with step by step instructions)
    http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

Anybody made/used biodiesel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There's a bunch of threads on the Green Issues forum about this general subject, to make it work you need to be careful about how much you use in the diesel mix. No modern derv drinker will be happy with more than about 5%
    biofuel without modification, older indirect injection engines like the old Pug/Cit engines can take about 25% mix. Viscosity is a real propblem esp in cold weather.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Thanks Mike, I'll check out that forum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

mike65 wrote:
    There's a bunch of threads on the Green Issues forum about this general subject, to make it work you need to be careful about how much you use in the diesel mix. No modern derv drinker will be happy with more than about 5%
    biofuel without modification, older indirect injection engines like the old Pug/Cit engines can take about 25% mix. Viscosity is a real propblem esp in cold weather.

Mike.

Presumably you are referring to SVO, not Biodiesel specifically? Biodiesel has been run at B100 levels (100%) with traditional Diesel anti-freezing fuel additives at 0c ambient. Typically it works to around 5c with no additives. A mix of 20% petro-diesel will also get around any low temp gel problems without additives in most cases.

People have run B100 in the V10 TDI VW engines, if they work something that impressive and complicated, it should work in pretty much any near future diesel engine.

And to answer JackieChan's question, Im "brewing" BioDiesel, but only in small test batches till I get something I would feel comfortable putting in an engine.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Matt Simis wrote:
    Presumably you are referring to SVO, not Biodiesel specifically? Biodiesel has been run at B100 levels (100%) with traditional Diesel anti-freezing fuel additives at 0c ambient.

But still VW, Toyota, Ford, and others recommend a max of 5% Biodiesel in their common rail diesels (I know VW isn't common rail, but it sill works on the basis of high pressure injection), and won't honour a warranty claim where a greater % has been used. It appears that it causes seals to breakdown, and it has a different viscosity which messes with the rail.

By biodiesel, I mean biodiesel proper, not leftovers from the chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

maidhc wrote:
    But still VW, Toyota, Ford, and others recommend a max of 5% Biodiesel in their common rail diesels (I know VW isn't common rail, but it sill works on the basis of high pressure injection), and won't honour a warranty claim where a greater % has been used. It appears that it causes seals to breakdown, and it has a different viscosity which messes with the rail.

By biodiesel, I mean biodiesel proper, not leftovers from the chipper.

They dont support it no, but hundreds if not thousands of people have really racked up the miles on high % BD in all those brands with no problem. The main reason they cant and wont honour warranty (if it causes an Engine problem) is that they have no input on the quality of the BD you use and there is no major Oil Company backing it. Its not because it simply doesnt work.. if that was the cause, there would be no interest or momentom World Wide on BioDiesel would there?

BTW, VW and Peugoet have stated upto 30% BD is ok in France and Germany, where its commericially available (as in many Eastern European countries). Do a search on the TDI Club forums, lots of people there with impressive mileage and minimal to Zero problems to show for it... remember one of the big draws for BD is that it should extend engine life as it acts as a lubricant. Also, people in the UK have been known to put 10% in when going for the MOT to pass the Emission tests with ease.

Matt

• Advertisement
Advertisement