Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobs not working

Options
  • 26-04-2006 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Ceramic hobs haves packed it in (in the middle of cooking). Power is fine, since oven since works, and strangely, a dim light appears in on the indicator lights for the hobs when the knobs are all set to the off-positon, but this light goes off when any of the knobs are turned on! The hobs were making a strange banging noise a few months back at start-up, but that had appeared to have gone away.

So its's the first time I've had to look at how the how cermiac unit is connected to the worktop, cleary it's built-in (glued perhaps), with no clear way of lifting/removing it to see what's underneath.

Might have to call an electrician, but how would he even go about trying to find the fault? Will he have to force the unit up and out just as I would, to get at it?

Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

If the hob is built into the worktop it should have a number of clips/clamps holding it down. Remove the pot drawers (if that's the type of setup you have) and look under the worktop you should see the clips/clamps.
    Some are just screwed up to the bottom of the worktop and can be undone and popped up.
    Most hobs come with a Gasket to seal them against water/spills. But some fitters sometimes use mastic. If it is mastic you can use a very thin scraper and work your way around the hob...
    If the hob is shot you can fit one easily as the had work is all in the cutting of the worktop...wiring is very straight forward...
    Best of luck.... :)

Just a thought...
    If you have an oven under the hob, you'll have to slide it out before hand to get access to underneath hob..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kmoon

Cheers Mate

Yep there's an oven direcly underneath it, so sliding it out is the way to go I think (I hadn't thought of that). Apart from that I can't think of any way of lifting it out.
    Thing is, Oven is raised about 6 inches off the ground, might be tricky!
    I'll give it a go anyway, if you've any further tips please tell me!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Normally the hob is wired seperate to the oven, you'll probably find a seperate plug connected to the wall for the oven. When you remove the hob youll find that there is probably a small junction box with a few jumpers across some of the terminals. These are for wiring it for different voltages etc. Check these first and ensure all connections are tight. They should also corrospond to the 230v that it should be wired for. NB.... Ensure you turn off all power before dismantling. Turn off at the breaker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kmoon

thanks stapeler

Advertisement