Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine Side Effects

Options
  • 26-04-2006 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with their washing machine? I'm in a two bed townhouse and everytime we put the washing machine on, the sink in the downstairs bathroom starts making loud gurgling noises and water spurts out of the plug hole. And then there's a horrible smell afterwards. I haven't a clue about plumbing so not sure what the problem is? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

this is where all the pipes are connected together to exit the house at one location or two depending on the size and just so there will not be too many pipes jutting out of walls etc.where i live my washing machine,kitchen sink and dishwasher all exit via the same pipe and join together under my kitchen sink

the reason the water comes back up is more than likely a blockage down the pipe restricting the water from the washing machine from getting out quickly so it has to go somewhere so up the sink it pops.

the other is that the pipe taking the washing machine water out is verticle and the resulting force fo the falling water is causing suction as it passes other pipes joining it

Now the U bend under the sink which normally holds a small amount of water is more that likely empty due to suction from the force of the water finally leaving the pipe(remember junior cert science), the result is that you have now no barrier between you and the mains waste water so the smell comes back up.

The quick remedy is the good old fashioned Mr Muscle drain unblocker(read instructions carefully)if this fails get a plumber in some one you can trust(i can recommend one) and he will check out if the U bend is big enough or the fall in the pipe too big to cause the suction. hopes this makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

if in doubt, get one of the builders/plumbers in whilst they are on site. we are in 2 bed g/f apt in CP. Our toilet was gurgling and bubbling now and again, it was also giving off a bad small. it went on for 2 weeks. i expected it would ease off and it was just 'new house' problems. But we had visitors so had no choice but to complain.

They were great, came straight round and investigated. Turns out that a tree had been planted over our waste pipe, and a stake was stuck in the ground to support it. The problem being, the stake went through the waste pipe, smashing it and blocking it.

Had we left it much longer the waste would have backed up to the loo. Doesn't bear thinking bout really.........

These things happen. Don't be afraid to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bloggj

i noticed this gurgling noise coming from the downstairs loo - the water began rising and then sinking back into toilet bowl. that was 2 weeks ago and thought it would pass! Warning: dont ignore it! Came home on Sunday went to hang out the clothes - had been away for a few days and found the drain out the back (black manhole!) had overflowed all over the gravel...the smell was horrendous....hoping my neighbours were away for the bank holiday!!!
    Luckily i knew someone in the family who could come out and assist with those rod things dyno use....not pleasant. so be warned! if u here gurglin. get it investigated. now i have this horrendous stench coming up the sink. The houses are so small the drainage is likely to be closing interlinked (eg downstairs loo, sink, washing machine etc) so if one goes/is blocked it can eventually cause a backlog for the lot. Believe me, not pleasant and a nasty way to spend a bank holiday sunday!!!!

Advertisement