Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Article: New TV ads encourage motorists to improve behaviour

Options
  • 26-04-2006 10:43am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭

from breakingnews.ie

New TV ads encourage motorists to improve behaviour
    26/04/2006 - 07:32:43

A new television advertising campaign encouraging motorists to improve their driving behaviour is due to get underway tonight.

The ads, which will focus on offences like dangerous overtaking and tailgating, are the latest attempt by the Road Safety Authority to reduce the carnage on Ireland’s roads.

Driver behaviour is blamed for many of the deaths on Ireland’s roads every year, but previous campaigns targeting speeding, drink-driving and the non-wearing of seat-belts have failed to make any impact.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

kbannon wrote:
    which will focus on offences like dangerous overtaking and tailgating

and what are the chances of anyone actually listening.
    The amount of people who tailgate in this country is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I think its a complete and utter waste of money. What have effect have all the previous graphic TV ads had on road deaths? I think some people might be shocked watching them at the time, but forget all about it once behind the wheel again. Proper law enforcement is the only way to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a start - but a lot more work is required to 'educate' drivers in Ireland. Our road network is reatively poor but improving. I've driven extensively in Europe and it's painfully obvious that most Irish drivers do not drive correctly on motorways - not to mention lunatic overtaking manoevers on roads with two way traffic.

I think that Irish drivers lack basic driving courtesy and have a tendancy to get very agressive over the smallest things. We all have to use the roads but so many drivers think they own the roads.

I can't see the advert having a major impact on it's own - but it might sow the seed - especially if its backed up with correct enforcement and further 'educational' tactics. If it's simply a once off thing then will be a pure waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was mentioned on RTE lunchtime news - overtaking and right turns are two areas being highlighted.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This aint gonna do fcuk all IMHO.

Do the fanta ads that say bamboucha make you want to go down the shops and buy a litre of fanta??

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sizzler wrote:

Do the fanta ads that say bamboucha make you want to go down the shops and buy a litre of fanta??

Exactly.

Surely you're not suggesting that advertising doesn't work? It does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's about time I say!

While these ads alone will not change driver behaviour overnight, as part of an overall 'road action plan' they are a step in the right direction.

The state of our roads leaves a lot to be desired and it is something which is rarely mentioned in the media. Just look at the amount of potholes, ruts, rough surfaces, etc. and there is no way that anybody can say that such surfaces do not play a part is some accidents.

In the past the govt could use the "lack of funds" excuse as a reason not to improve our roads - but not anymore with the economy booming!

We should look to Sweden as a model for best practice when it comes to road safety.
    They use "the three E's" regarding road safety -

ENGINEERING
    EDUCATION
    ENFORCEMENT

.......and it's time that we did likewise!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sizzler wrote:

Exactly.

I dont know about you. But I followed a random stranger to visit his Aunt in Helsinki after seeing that ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

in my opinion its a waste of time and money.why not invest in putting more guards on the road and speed checks and the main thing is check people coming out of the pubs as thats the main problem

Advertisement