Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice fisherman here - any advice for me

Options
  • 26-04-2006 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi there,

I want to start fishing! I have just moved to a village and the slaney river runs by a field near my house :)

I am told its full of trout and salmon. I know NOTHING about fishing so if you can give me any advice on what I need to get up and running and some tips on what to do I'd be very grateful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

darkbeatz wrote:
    Hi there,

I want to start fishing! I have just moved to a village and the slaney river runs by a field near my house :)

I am told its full of trout and salmon. I know NOTHING about fishing so if you can give me any advice on what I need to get up and running and some tips on what to do I'd be very grateful

Would love to help but you cant teach someone to fish over the internet.
    I recommend that you contact your local fishing club (there will be one close by, as the Slaney is a damn good river and all fishing rights will be snapped up) and try organise to go for a few pints with or even better a fishing trip with one of their members.
    This is where you have to put any shyness away and go for broke, as a new man in a new town you will just have to go for it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

I'm in the same situation.. I'd like to learn! I'm more interested in sea/harbour fishing. Got myself a nice book but I know nothing beats experience. Which club would you recommend? By the way, I live in Dublin...

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Chopperdog wrote:
    Would love to help but you cant teach someone to fish over the internet.
    I recommend that you contact your local fishing club (there will be one close by, as the Slaney is a damn good river and all fishing rights will be snapped up) and try organise to go for a few pints with or even better a fishing trip with one of their members.
    This is where you have to put any shyness away and go for broke, as a new man in a new town you will just have to go for it. Good luck.

Couldn't agree more. There's a feck load of tricky little small details that you really need someone more experienced to show you.

It can be a mighty frustrating experience sitting on the edge of a bank having "done everything by the book" and wondering why you're not catching anything. Experience counts for everything, and picking this up is half the fun.

And for as much that you'd think angling is a fairly solitary pursuit you'll find it's incredibly social. I've talked shy*te for hours with other fisherman in country pubs I've only met and picked up some great tatics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

inigo wrote:
    I'm in the same situation.. I'd like to learn! I'm more interested in sea/harbour fishing. Got myself a nice book but I know nothing beats experience. Which club would you recommend? By the way, I live in Dublin...

Cheers!
    I',m involved in one, but membership is closed for the year! :(

Site is here

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

thanks anyway

Advertisement