Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushy park skatepark build starts tuesday

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Where'd you take them from? Up the tree...?!!

No there taken by a guy from Dublin City Council, so he was inside the fence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

whens it gonna be done by?

The facility should be finished in late August/early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Not sure I like the look of those bentfork photos, I hope they're going to have some sections with steeper transitions than that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

hows it gonna take over a month to finish it off? they've got most of it cemented already, they just gotta finish that off and smooth it out, that wouldnt take more then 2 weeks...

• Advertisement

There is going to be other parts to the park besides the bowl and they will have to build a better fence round it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

So this is a public park? Free in and no pads/helmet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sdjustin

segasega wrote:
    The facility should be finished in late August/early September.

it will be finished before the 27th of this month thats when the builders are going homeshould be open in september(probobly early)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stonedfluff

already posted this but here it is again!
    Hi All ,
    Just got some worrying news that there are quite a few skaters/bikers breaking into the skatepark at night. I was out on site yesterday and noticed that there was some graffiti scratched into the concrete of the bowl. I didn't realise until today, when I received some news, that there were up to 10-15 individuals in the park!!. I've heard of parks in the UK closed down and filled with sand for a lot less.
    No complaints yet in from the locals but this is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm just waiting for the "we told you so" firing line to start up. The park is still a building site with steel bars sticking up all over it. Its even dangerous trying to walk around it, so a serious injury could happen very easily. Not to mention that the concrete hasn't properly cured yet so this will effect the quality of the riding surface in the future.
    Sorry to whinge at you guys, I know that I'm preaching to the converted here, but I'm just wondering is there any way in finding out who these people are. Is there a way of explaining to them that they could be wrecking the future of the park for everyone? I know it's very tempting to want to use it, knowing that it's almost finished, but we've come very far to lose the battle at this stage! Anyway in the meantime I will have to organise security at night on site, which will eat into our budget.
    thanks ,
    Sean Redmond
    this jus gonna f us all up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stonedfluff

skate4evr wrote:
    hows it gonna take over a month to finish it off? they've got most of it cemented already, they just gotta finish that off and smooth it out, that wouldnt take more then 2 weeks...
    it takes a while for concrete to fully cure if it's used to early the cret'll just crumble and crack it may look good on the outside but it's still goey in the inside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bowlrider

What's the latest on the opening date?
    Anymore photos to wet our appetites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Here ye go
    - there's been some more work done since this was taken.
    PLEASE make do with a pic for now, there's still a real risk that we could lose everythin if people keep breakin in.
    As ya may know, a cops are doin laps of the park so somebody's gonna get hauled away if they're caught in da act.

Anyway, we're all gaggin to get at it & we're tryin to put pressure on da council to open it ASAP.
    Feel free to contact Dublin City Council & ask em when its gonna happen.

Keep em crossed!

JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

That looks really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

holy seisse! was jus thinkin of takin up boardin again

so am now!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

The new ledge on the bottom left is utter sh1te. That box thats over the hip in the middle is good, but the chap who was making it must have been smokin some crack as its got transition leading up to it. Very dangerous..

I said it once, and ill say it again, its shaping up to be a skateboard park. Some higher ledges for the BMXers/rollerbladers would be great, coz the ledge they put in is way to fat and way to low, also the rail they put in is feeble aswell, and i wont even comment on the little ramp thingy they put in which is out of sight in that pic.

Give us all something we can skate. Unless you want the bowl overcrouded with bmxers and rollerbladers, give us something else to skate/ride - our names are down too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

You're right it is shaping up to be a skateboard park.Skaters will be the main users and have been the ones pushing for this park the longest. The park has to be all things to all people and have a little something for each user group. A little bit for bowl riders a little bit for street skaters some beginner stuff some bmx/rollerblade stuff. As more and more parks become available more parks can focus on one particular user group, but for Bushy I think it has to be representative of it's users.
    If you want to influence design on skateparks you'll have to get more involved in the process by going to council meetings and talking to councillors and council officials. Is there any skatepark companies run by rollerbladers? Push for these to be included in invitations to tender.
    The reality is that all of the best skatepark companies in the world are run by hardcore skateboarders. They are the best because of their passion for skating and when they design a park you can bet they are thinking of how it will skate.They do what they know and they know skateboarding.
    Nate Wessel is the only top bmx park designer I can think of and he deals mainly in wooden indoor parks AFAIK so even he wouldn't be suitable for a concrete park build. I don't know much about blading but I'm not sure that it's produced any top rank park designers yet.Is there any blade specific concrete parks made anywhere? Maybe put some designs together yourself and post them up here and see what others think of them. There's plenty of parks to be built yet.If you want parks to be built the way you want them you'll have to get in at the start and push for what you want.Waiting till they're finished and then criticising what you don't like won't get you anywhere. If people like yourself don't get involved we will be stuck with a string of cookie cutter modular rubbish like a lot of places in the UK.

Glad you like the hip box though , how do you reckon the trannies make it dangerous? If it's the danger of boards being launched into the pool the massive box section coping will help prevent that.

Thanks for signing the petition, whichever one it was.
    There was two .. one organised by the local BMXers Beky and Gavin at bentfork and the other run through Rogers www.bushyskatepark.com site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

any more pictures? hows the street section comin along? at least theres a bowl now, get some diversity into ur skatin

shagman wrote:
    You're right it is shaping up to be a skateboard park.Skaters will be the main users and have been the ones pushing for this park the longest. The park has to be all things to all people and have a little something for each user group.

Im petitioning for the last 12 years, and other friends of mine are going 15 years. Granted thats not the same as skateboarding, but ill be damned if it means nothing. And yes, a park has to be things for all people to skate, for each user group.
    shagman wrote:
    As more and more parks become available more parks can focus on one particular user group, but for Bushy I think it has to be representative of it's users.

So only skateboarders will use it...? I dont think so. Rollerblading and BMXing will have a strong presance in the park, both you and i know one way or another they will skate it. When this park was pitched to us, it was 'OH this park will have something for everyone to skate/ride, thats why we need your signatures'. Why would we push for something thats only going to be counter productive to us getting a park? We put our names down coz we hoped you guys building it would keep us in mind while the work was being done.
    shagman wrote:
    The reality is that all of the best skatepark companies in the world are run by hardcore skateboarders. They are the best because of their passion for skating and when they design a park you can bet they are thinking of how it will skate.They do what they know and they know skateboarding.

anyone with a brain cell can design a park, it just takes some people a shorter ammount of time. The best skateparks imo are by far ran by skateboarders. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like skating mellow handrails, and the lads like steep ones. The 'best parks' are the ones that involve every type of sport. This way, when you skate you dont get narrow minded about transition. From what i recall, rampworx in liverpool is run by a chap that has a kid who rollerblades. Dont quote me on that, its just something that stuck in my head when i heard it first. Rampworks has 3 strips, one for rollerblading, one for skateboarding and a sick rythem section for the bmxers. Then they worked on adding more stuff to make the park flow, so they built ramps and what not into each course. IMO Rampworx has everyone at heart, not just skateboarders, and thats why i think its great.
    shagman wrote:
    Nate Wessel is the only top bmx park designer I can think of and he deals mainly in wooden indoor parks AFAIK so even he wouldn't be suitable for a concrete park build. I don't know much about blading but I'm not sure that it's produced any top rank park designers yet.Is there any blade specific concrete parks made anywhere? Maybe put some designs together yourself and post them up here and see what others think of them. There's plenty of parks to be built yet.If you want parks to be built the way you want them you'll have to get in at the start and push for what you want.Waiting till they're finished and then criticising what you don't like won't get you anywhere. If people like yourself don't get involved we will be stuck with a string of cookie cutter modular rubbish like a lot of places in the UK.

I know its against my arguement to say i dont have time - but i dont atm. We (bmxers/rollerbladers) voiced our ideas on the internet, the only way that they know it will be immortalised for everyone to see.
    shagman wrote:
    Glad you like the hip box though , how do you reckon the trannies make it dangerous? If it's the danger of boards being launched into the pool the massive box section coping will help prevent that.

Yea, i think its a great idea, i was saying it to the chap with the shaved head and the skateboard tatoo about that before it was built. I also suggested putting one about a foot away from the ramp on the other side (15 foot straight line with 2 hips) and keeping it the same hight as the smaller one. that way theres something for the ramp to skate, also, it would be long enough to double as a grindbox which would keep the rollerbladers and bmxers at bey for a good while. It would open up the other part of the course with the rail n so on aswell.

As far as the small box bring dangerous, a board launch would be a concern, but yes the coping would prevent that so its ok... Im more concerned of someone rolling backwards up it tripping and hitting his head off of the side of the grind box. Where as if the runnup was a flat one, they would just trip into the transition, which wouldnt be too bad.
    shagman wrote:
    Thanks for signing the petition, whichever one it was.
    There was two .. one organised by the local BMXers Beky and Gavin at bentfork and the other run through Rogers www.bushyskatepark.com site.

im not sure, i could have signed them both for all i know. Anything related to a sport such as ours i would put my name on and be first off the mark to help out anyway i could. I've signed alot of stuff in my day.

Never the less, the one thing i love in the park - the bowl is great, i dont think i would have it any other way and everything about it is great, especially the coping, bang up job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

when's this one supposed to be ready and open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

There's nothin official yet.
    There was talk of early September - BUT having spoken to Sean at the council the fencing could take anything from 5 to 10 weeks!!!
    Don't ask me how it could take this long....

The Airspeed boys are finishin up this week.
    If ya wanna try to speed things up, call / email Dublin City Council
    - ask em when it'll open.

It seems daft that they wait til all the kids are back at school....

As expected da usual twats are still breakin thru da hording & skatin / ridin.
    God help em if this results in things gettin shut down.
    Funny how those of us that worked hardest/waited longest are managin to be patient?

Cops are now kickin people out - they'll eventually get sick of it & do somebody for trespassin.
    Ah well.

JohnBoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

JahEerie wrote:
    It seems daft that they wait til all the kids are back at school....

At least I'm in school right beside it :)

At least Im not in school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

ahh yes, lucans right beside my school, and im goin into 4th year, life is good. nothn to do with bushy, but people were talkin bout school

Word on the street is, both parks will open mid-late september...

When all the TD's and Councel people are back from their hollidays. Lets face it, all skateparks need some 'respected' member of the government to open a park for us to skate.

So when they open it, expect it to be nice, wet and unskateable.

Its not like we would want to take them away from their 6 month holliday to open a skatepark during the period its actually possible to skate it in now would we? That would be too selfish of us

Advertisement