Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anyone buy 2nd hand any more?

Options
  • 26-04-2006 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Probably not the best place to place this thread, but I'm looking to vent off at the moment!
    I'm in the midst of trying to sell my car privately, I used a number of sites to compare prices for my car, based on model / age / mileage / private sale....
    I've advertised in CBG / local paper / buy and sell / the new Adverts.ie / the motors for sale on this site / for sale sign in back of car..., and the only calls i'm getting is for other advertiser trying to get me to buy advertising! Autotrader / Indo / some UK site....
    Does no-one else read the darn things any more! Has everyone bought new cars!

Can anyone offer me suggestion for getting a sale? The price is marked ONO, I've had it cleaned, new tyres, new hubcaps, its NCT-ed to 2008 and taxed to the end of the year...
    What else can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

seriously Buy & Sell should be all you need, just make sure you keep visiting www.buyandsell.ie and renewing the ad constantly so it keeps appearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

mell61 wrote:
    Probably not the best place to place this thread, but I'm looking to vent off at the moment!
    I'm in the midst of trying to sell my car privately, I used a number of sites to compare prices for my car, based on model / age / mileage / private sale....
    I've advertised in CBG / local paper / buy and sell / the new Adverts.ie / the motors for sale on this site / for sale sign in back of car..., and the only calls i'm getting is for other advertiser trying to get me to buy advertising! Autotrader / Indo / some UK site....

Can anyone offer me suggestion for getting a sale? The price is marked ONO, I've had it cleaned, new tyres, new hubcaps, its NCT-ed to 2008 and taxed to the end of the year...
    What else can I do?

Type model etc on car. It could be the car is seen in a bad light or there is alot of them on the market so second hand sales are very competitive.

Second hand car market is booming at the moment so I would be looking at a problem with the car itself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used the Buy and Sell to sell a Golf last year - I had the ad in for over 6 weeks before I got a single call. It sold eventually. Just keep the ad running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've sold two cars privately, both to the first person who viewed them. Used the buy and sell each time. The first took months to sell, the second went in a week. The ironic thing was that the guy I bought the second one from, had spent months trying to sell it before I came along. It can just be pot luck but once the car is honestly described and at a reasonable price, when you do get a viewing, it shouldn't be too difficult to close the sale. If you want to avoid the cold calling from the advertisers, add in 'no canvassers' at the end of the add.

What make and model have you and what price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

mell61 wrote:

What else can I do?

try the FS Motors on boards....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=495

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

maybe you're wording the ad wrong, there's some things I'd read in an Ad that'd turn me off even calling the number. Your text alone can attract callers, stuff like "pristine cond", "1st to see will buy", "immac cond" etc etc

remember you're the seller you have to try and actually sell the car not just stick an aul ad up and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭mell61

Alias No 9
    No sure if moderator will delete this or not... but it is already in FS Motors, so I might get away with it ;)
    Its a '00 Yaris, 1L, NCT to 03/08, taxed to 12/06, 5 door, all new tyres, I'm asking Eu6,950 ono.

I think the other poster is probably correct, I do need to 'sell... selll.... sell...' But in saying that I just got my first call from local paper ad, and it appears they've misprinted the year to a 2003! Just popping out to check!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll let you away with that as its sort of relevent to the thread!

Mis-prints are rife in ads both in print and online.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A yaris should sell well, but the typical buyer would be conservative / cautious and more likely to buy from a dealer (for example a first time driver not really sure what their looking at and possibly worried about comeback if anything goes wrong, or a middle aged / elderly woman who buys with confidence from the same garage all the time because they've always looked after her). A quick search on cbg.ie and the price you're asking is comparrable to what main dealers are asking. The main dealer car will come with a warranty and the possibility of a trade in too. I'm not trying to put a dig in here but your asking too much for the car. Drop the price to 6k and be prepared to accept a hundred or two less and it will sell. I'm not sure how quickly you need to sell, but if you hold firm on the price, you could be left with it with it and have to settle for less later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

alias no.9 wrote:
    A yaris should sell well, but the typical buyer would be conservative / cautious and more likely to buy from a dealer (for example a first time driver not really sure what their looking at and possibly worried about comeback if anything goes wrong, or a middle aged / elderly woman who buys with confidence from the same garage all the time because they've always looked after her). A quick search on cbg.ie and the price you're asking is comparrable to what main dealers are asking. The main dealer car will come with a warranty and the possibility of a trade in too. I'm not trying to put a dig in here but your asking too much for the car. Drop the price to 6k and be prepared to accept a hundred or two less and it will sell. I'm not sure how quickly you need to sell, but if you hold firm on the price, you could be left with it with it and have to settle for less later.

Was going to post something similiar. Car is overpriced, you have to remember its more or less a 6 year old car. You need to price it for its market which will prob be first time buyer and a girl. Never seen many blokes in a yaris.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

mell61 wrote:
    Its a '00 Yaris, 1L, NCT to 03/08, taxed to 12/06, 5 door, all new tyres, I'm asking Eu6,950 ono.
    I think that pretty much explains your problem.
    You're looking for way too much for a 6 year old car in a private sale.
    A garage might get away with charging €7k with 6 month warranty, and they'll organize for you to be raped by AIB on a HP deal.
    Selling privately is a WYSIWYG arrangement.
    For example, my 95 Carina E was €2k at 8 years old.
    My wife's Almera was 5k at 5 years old.

You would be doing well to get €5k for this Yaris.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as the lads, it looks a bit overpriced. Yaris drivers are either grannies or learners, so really you are aiming it at lady drivers.
    Could add it, "nice color", "integrated make-up mirror" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Toyota Yaris 1.0L petrol 2000,
    62k mls, 3 dr, NCT 01/08, met, black, a/b, c/l, e/w, immob, p/s, lady owner.
    €5250.00

In the buyandsell.

You're asking about €1500 too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

If i win the lotto tonight i'll buy it off ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

Starting at €4,950 on Carzone from a dealer (albeit with very high mileage). There are 32 Yaris 2000s there for €7k or under, most of them from dealers.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&MakeID=31&ModelID=276&Year=2000

You also need to bear in mind that the prices cars are _sold_ at are generally lower than the prices they are advertised at. The car is simply overpriced, drop the price to something more reasonable and you'll sell it in no time. Remember, the market value of your car is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭mell61

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm updating my ads online tonight and will have a successful sale this weekend (positive mental attitude and all that).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We're selling 00 Yaris's for the same price as you. Only differences are

1) We'll take a trade in
    2) 12 Month Warranty parts and labour
    3) We Offer discount for buying straight

Your car is way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    We're selling 00 Yaris's for the same price as you. Only differences are

1) We'll take a trade in
    2) 12 Month Warranty parts and labour
    3) We Offer discount for buying straight

Your car is way overpriced.

And you probably arrange finance as well if required :)

@OP - let us know how you're getting on after revising your asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

.........for all the commission you'd make on financing €5,000.....

Advertisement