Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride on Lawn mower advice

• 26-04-2006 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some advice.

Am finally going to rotovate some land behind the house and need to get a ride on lawn mower.

The advice I'm looking for is how to balance cost/quality/performance and reliability with the various models.

I'll have about an acre to mow and it's on a bit of a hill.

Am looking at both new and second hand (preferably).

Advice anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Go for a larger engine 12hp + and a wide cut. Murray and Husqvarna spring to mind. Avoid those 5 & 6 HP engines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

What's your budget zoot? I recently bought a Castlegarden 15.5HP (Briggs and Stratton) with a 102cm mulching deck and 320Lt bag. I paid roughly €3200 but they gave me a free 350Kg tipping trailer and tow bar for it. It's easy to drive and fairly powerful. The same with a Honda engine was about €200 extra but not worth it for the badge.

Just one tip. Avoid manual gearbox if you can and go for one with a hydrostatic drive. They are easier to operate especially on a large garden like yours.

I did a good bit of pricing around when I bought and this one seemed like the best value for a similar size garden to yours. Got prices from about €1500 up to €25000 !!!

It's probably a bad time of year for looking for second hand mowers. Maybe at the end of the season if you can hold out. But do you relly want to buy someones elses problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

I don't really have a budget as it's something I have to get so will pay whatever I have to for the right machine.

Have found a 2nd hand Castlegarden that will come with a 3 month warranty and thanks to your advise squire1, when I see it and if it's running smoothly I think I'll buy it there and then - provided it's automatic and has a hydrostatic drive.

Thanks for the advice.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i'd try to get a diesel ride on mower

it would work out so much cheaper to run

Advertisement