Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census Question

Options
  • 26-04-2006 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

First time poster in this particular neck of the woods.

The census asked us to declare our religion:
    • Roman Catholic
    • Church of Ireland
    • Presbytarian
    • Methodist
    • Islam
    • Other
    • No Religion

Having been baptised a catholic (without my consent) the appeal of this particular religion was lost to me relatively young in life at around age 15/16.

My current beliefs are somewhat of an agnostic spiritualist - I still have my moments of doubt. I do not subscribe to any religion. I do attempt to adhere to my own core value set which by default will overlap with many religions.

The question I want to ask without going further into specifics is what should I have put in the census form? My flat mate insisted once baptised a catholic always a catholic I disagree.

I shy away from an out and out renouncing "my religion" as I have tremendous respect for my mother and don't wish to hurt her feelings, furthermore I don't even know how to go about such a thing. But I do not consider myself a catholic.

Is the answer to the question personal choice?

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The principle reason (that I heard at least) for the census is to find out what services are required where... 100 more children born in area Y, best make sure there's schools for them, etc.

I took the religion question to mean 'what religion do you currently practice' -- as in, what services would you like us to provide in your area (another catholic church, maybe?). I ticked the 'No Religion' box myself.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Same boat as yourself, I think, as I see myself as a non practicing 'lapsed' catholic. But thought a bit about the census form and eventually put RC, because I know if I died tomorrow Id be buried as one, and my kids are baptised RC. I didnt see it as a religious statement of belief, nor did I feel putting 'other' would have been renouncing my god or anything. I didnt feel in this context it was wildly important to nail my spritual colours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I'd be inclined to just tick RC regardless, the less the b*stards know about my life the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure they are not going to use the information about our habits for the betterment of society, more likely to devise some fiendish new way of taxing us. Excuse my cynicism but I think governments serve themselves and big business and not the general population.

http://www.electricpublications.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I'd be inclined to just tick RC regardless, the less the b*stards know about my life the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure they are not going to use the information about our habits for the betterment of society, more likely to devise some fiendish new way of taxing us. Excuse my cynicism but I think governments serve themselves and big business and not the general population.

http://www.electricpublications.com

lmao... now thats cynicism :eek:

why dont you get into politics and sort it all out? or do you reckon anarchy would be a better solution?

back to the question... i put in Agnostic in the other section.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I wouldn't have thought agnosticism is a religion. Shurly it's the absence of religion (ie. no religion)?
    KatieK wrote:
    Same boat as yourself, I think, as I see myself as a non practicing 'lapsed' catholic. But thought a bit about the census form and eventually put RC, because I know if I died tomorrow Id be buried as one, and my kids are baptised RC. I didnt see it as a religious statement of belief
    Sorry, but it annoys me when people do this. How is it anything but a religious statement of belief? You've said that you believe in, and adhear to the rules and rituals of, the Roman Catholic Church, when evidently that's not the case.

My father was born in Canada but this doesn't make him Canadian. He's an Irish citizen and marked it accordingly on the census. Now, in the 'Where were you were born' section I'm sure he wrote Montreal or wherever it was, but I don't remember seeing a "What religion was imposed upon you at birth" question.

Also, I don't think it's actually possible to leave the RCC (at least it's not very easy) so if we were to take it by baptisim alone (as oppose to what you actually believe) then I'd say the number of non-roman catholic's in this country wouldn't even register on the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jimbling wrote:
    lmao... now thats cynicism :eek:

why dont you get into politics and sort it all out? or do you reckon anarchy would be a better solution?

back to the question... i put in Agnostic in the other section.
    You should have clicked no religion tbh.

For peoplw that do not believe RC, you are not one, no matter how much it hurts mammy.
    It is annoying when people put it down, they are asking for the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

You should have clicked no religion tbh.

For peoplw that do not believe RC, you are not one, no matter how much it hurts mammy.
    It is annoying when people put it down, they are asking for the truth.
    Well "mammy" was not privvy to my census form I was simply stating that I had not formally renounced my RC heritage as I thought it may have an effect on peoples opinions.

My answer was "No Religion" as I think I do not have one, however as I said my flat mate disagreed.... hence the question...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well "mammy" was not privvy to my census form I was simply stating that I had not formally renounced my RC heritage as I thought it may have an effect on peoples opinions.
    I wasn't replying to you in particular. In general, people are known to do what i have said...
    It is simple really for me. You mark what you believe. If you believe, I mean actually believe, in the teachings of a religion then you are of that denomination. Otherwise you are not. As you know you are not, the choice is simple.
    My flat mate insisted once baptised a catholic always a catholic I disagree.
    You are right to disagree. Stupid opinion.
    My answer was "No Religion" as I think I do not have one, however as I said my flat mate disagreed.... hence the question...
    Right choice.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Goodshape wrote:
    Sorry, but it annoys me when people do this. How is it anything but a religious statement of belief? You've said that you believe in, and adhear to the rules and rituals of, the Roman Catholic Church, when evidently that's not the case.
    Fair dues, it annoys you, but I looked on the reason for the question differently. For me they werent asking to see what gods we all privately pray to, they asked to see how much support, funding, bums on seats the different religions get. And I know that my family circle are all RC and I would automatically be classed as one having been baptised as one, like I said, Id be buried as one, as the choice wont be mine, using the RC facilities as it were.
    What earthly reason would they have to want to know how my spiritual life is carried on? The census is a practical tool for practical social planning.

What annoys me is non practicing catholics getting married in church, but thats a whole other ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I filled in Spiritualist on my cencus and TBH I got A)A lot of grief and hastle for not putting down RC and B)Anoyed when said ppl who became abusive to me and who dont know the words to any RC prayers, the structure, dogma, havent been to mass in years, make lots of cynical/abusive remarks about RC etc put down RC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement