Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Fishing

Options
  • 26-04-2006 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Lads & Ladies,

Despite living on the East Coast I have done very little sea-fishing.
    I have heard rumours locally of bass having been seen frequenting a local mark.
    This area is primarily sandy with surrounding rocky outcrops.
    How and when should I try for these fish?
    Bait or spin?
    Does a flowing or ebbing tide make any difference?
    All help greatly appreciated.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Either spinning or surf fishing with lug or sandeel with work, even float fishing or fly fishing too !!

Flooding tide is best usually and night time / dusk is a lot better than daytime.

Depends on the type of mark you're thinking of going to I guess.

oh, worth mentioning that the bass season closes mid may for a month, so best get moving !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

You are a gentleman Growler,

Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

take a look at this

http://www.worldseafishing.com/fishspecies/shore/shorebass.shtml

pretty good guide imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

at this time of year ground fishing is the easier option and the most likely to produce a bass , peeler crab if you can get it, sand eels and lots of lug for bait ,the only problem with bass fishing is that once you get your first bass YOU are hooked for life

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I saw a program recently with Henry Gilbey fishing off Wexford for bass. Now they didn't mention the area as they said it was a local secret, but just wondering if anybody knew where it was.

They started off near an estuary and fished with worms and then walked a few miles to rocks where they lure fished.

Now I've had a look at the map and there seems to be just 2 estuaries in Wexford county (Slaney & Suir). I don't think it was the Slaney estuary.

Has anybody fished down this neck of the woods for bass? I'd like to give it a go some weekend while I'm down there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

I think it was near Bannow Bay and then towards the hook. I hear there are Gilthead Bream in that Estuary too (near St Kearns I believe)
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

jd wrote:
    I think it was near Bannow Bay and then towards the hook. I hear there are Gilthead Bream in that Estuary too (near St Kearns I believe)
    jd
    good man jd, did you see that show? Henry talks a lot but he's very good at what he does...he seems to always stick with local bait aswell which works well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Lex Luthor wrote:
    good man jd, did you see that show? Henry talks a lot but he's very good at what he does...he seems to always stick with local bait aswell which works well for him.
    I missed the show-just have the basic ntl package.
    Graham Hill lives here
    http://www.bedandbreakfastireland.net/ Wexford_ShadyNookBB.htm

There are different views on Gilbey
    http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?p=22571

Advertisement