Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replace flexible brake pipe on '97 Passat

Options
  • 26-04-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I need to replace the flexible pipe that goes from the bracket inside the wheel-well to the caliper. I plan on doing it myself.

Just wondering if this is a major job? It looks handy enough at a glance.

Im not worried about bleeding the system etc etc, im fully Au Fait [sp?] with that. Im more concerned with the mechanics of replacing the pipes themselves.

I probably going to get the parts from GSF unless some has better suggestions, ill probably get a pollen filter too as I dont think its been changed from day one!

Any commments/pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I did the lines on a primera earlier in the year. Straightforward enough job. The guy in the motorfactors said the only keep the lines for VW's and Punto's in stock, because they're the common ones to be changed, so it's likely to be diy friendly on a passat too. There's a strange fitting on the end of the hose connected to the metal line on the primera but an ordinary spanner did fine. Make sure to clean everything down before starting, dirt in your brake lines could be disaster, and be careful where the brake fluid goes (that includes your skin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

Hi,

GSF probably won't supply that part, so you may have to go to the dealer.

As a job, it's not too bad, just have it clear in your head before you start what order your going to do things in, before you end up with fluid everywhere or you end up with the new flexible pipe with a kink/twist in it. I had to do the 2 front ones on my car last summer.

When i disconnected the fexible brake line, i wrapped a rubber glove over the exposed end of the steel pipe to minise fluid loss in the system.

Be carefull when opening up the union between the flexible pipe and the steel pipe, you don't want to twist or kink the steel pipe, they can twist or kink, especially if the union is quite tight. On a different car, i had to "support" the pipe with a pliers, to stop it from twisting/kinking as i was opening up the union.

It sounds like you know about bleeding the brake system, i bought one of them cheap bleeding kits from halfords and it worked well, or you could go with the manual approach if you have someone to help.

Hope this helps... .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I thought I saw the part of GSF's website, is it the same company in ireland as in the UK?

Yea, im dandy enough with bleeding part, in fact I changed the bloody fluid about 2.5 months ago and the pipes seemed fine.

Anyway, ill try and track down the pipes and maybe have a crack at it next monday.

Cheers folks.

any ideas where I can get this part folks?

So far ive gotten a quote of €30 per pipe which sounds a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

any ideas where I can get this part folks?

So far ive gotten a quote of €30 per pipe which sounds a bit much.

Sounds slightly high but not far off the mark. Try a few motor factors, they'll order them if they don't have them in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 grk_car

Try keeping in touch with dealers. They might offer it in much lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I replaced the brake lines on the BMW 2yrs ago and its one place I wouldn't be getting the parts from GSF for. The OE parts from BMW were just as cheap as GSF and at least they are guaranteed to fit. (correct length & thread).
    Last thing you want is car up on blocks with old hoses off and they are the wrong type

Holy thread revival batman!

In the end I think I got it from Otto. Bought quite a few bits of them before I left Ireland in September, good prices and the guys were pretty helpful too.

Advertisement