Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Kilcullen

Options
  • 26-04-2006 3:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking at buying a house in Kilcullen. I was looking at Cnoc Na Greine, Hillcrest and Hermitage Park.

Anyone have any views on these areas?? 3 bed semis seem to be going for around the €330K mark although the are bigger than what you would find in Dublin.

What kind of a town is Kilcullen, any nice pubs/restaurants?? It is close to Naas so you could always go there at weekends of course.

Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had a look there aswell,house prices are cheap it is near Carlow and not too far from Dublin.
    Traffic to Dublin in the morning is terrible and there is a lack of local facilities and amenities.
    There are a few nice pubs though:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Which road would you use to get to Dublin, the M7 via M9??

How long does it take to get to ParkWest area from Kilcullen in the morning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My sister lives there, although I don't know the name of the estate. The village is nice, modern but has alot of old world charm.

Kilcullen isn't far from Kildare town, which is great for shopping.

Although if you're working in Dublin you might want to reconsider, the N7 is Irelands second biggest car park after the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 maurice06

Would very much agree Ktric, it's a nightmare for commuting, car and train (Hueston Station), although it still managed to retain some of it's 'small village' attributes, it's got quite a nice Organic restaurant, about 5 pubs, a centra type thing but you would have to travel into Kildare town or Naas for everything else

Housing Value for money 6.5 out of 10

Amenities 4 out of 10

Communiting hell 8 out of 10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

So for a 9am start in Park West would it take an hour to get there??

What about if I had an 8am start. How long would that take??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 maurice06

At a guess, for an 8am start, you would want to be on the road for 6.45am, friends of mine have ditched the car at the train station (Newbridge/Kildare), they were traveling all the way into town though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I commute from near Kilcullen - it really depends on the time you leave. I leave at 5.45 am and am in the city centre at 6.30. The worst time to leave is anywhere between 6.30 and 8.00 because you really get caught up at Newlands cross. Coming home will be fine once the N7 is completed. Also there are a few rat runs to get you up if the motorway is particularly bad.

As regards amenities there are as many as any country town - it depends what you are looking for . Also you are really close to Naas and Newbridge and Newbridge has the new White Water shopping centre as well as plenty of hardware shops, xtra vision etc, 24 hour supermarkets etc

I love living out here - country living within commuting distance of Dublin

Advertisement