Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghibli Girls

Options
  • 26-04-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

ghibli_girls.jpg

I was just watching Whipser of the Heart last night for the fist time and I absolutely adored it.

It got me thinking... Ghibli films have featured some great female characters over the years... which one has done the best job of capturing your heart?

Nausicaä from Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    Shizuku from Whisper of the Heart
    Sheeta from Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    San from Princess Mononoke
    Sofî from Howl's Moving Castle
    Satsuki from My Neighbour Totoro
    Fio from Porco Rosso
    Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service
    Haru from The Cat Returns
    Chihiro (Sen) from Spirited Away

Me? I'll have to go with Shizuku from Whisper of the Heart... most likely because I watched it just last night... but Whisper of the Heart didn't have any fantastical elements in it, so it was completely dependent on the character of Shizuku to draw you into the story and as such I felt she was a very strong character...

Haru from the Cat Returns is good too... if only for the reason that she actually looks different to all the others.

Which Ghibli girl has captured your heart the most? 20 votes

Nausicaä
    0%
    Shizuku
    25%
    CuLTRetr0gamerArt_WolfFeniansharingan 5 votes
    Sheeta
    5%
    monkeyfudge 1 vote
    San
    5%
    CyTai 1 vote
    Sofi
    50%
    Karl HungustmanRabiesCrucifixevad_lhorgDoctorEdgeWildK.O.KikiquonDoc_SavageHakumei Naru 10 votes
    Satsuki
    0%
    Fio
    5%
    Crash 1 vote
    Kiki
    0%
    Haru
    5%
    Li'l Irish 1 vote
    Chihiro (Sen)
    5%
    carbonkid 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

probably chchiro/sen... first Ghibli film Isaw and after that, they kind of blended into similarity (with the exception of Princess mononoke)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Shizuku
    Sorry, Nausicaa owns.

The combination of leadership, intelligence, deadly competence, charisma, strength, humanity, compassion and empathy coupled with believable self doubt, moments of weakness and self-sacrifice made for a mold that couldn't be refilled.

Its all too easy to make a heroic character that is unbelievably virtuous. Nausicaa was believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Sheeta
    Can't change it to Nausicaä in the poll but I've corrected it in the post.

And Sofî is the spelling from the Japanese version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Shizuku
    Changed Nausicaä for you in the poll, and would have to totally agree with sharingan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Chihiro (Sen)
    I guess Haru cause shes the only one of the few there ive seen, lesser of two evils. I never really been able to get into that kinda anime. Now full metal panic's Kaname Chidori would be my kinda girl...i like em with a little bit of bite (also wouldnt hurt to give some of those Ghibli girls a little bit of sex appeal) :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Hakumei Naru

Sofi
    San. She's such an interesting, deep and indearing character. She's torn between two worlds and she doesn't really belong to either of them. I wish the film had told more about her than Ashi taka (damn profanity filter). She really was far more complex than he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm a sucker for Spirited Away... so Chihiro/Sen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sofi
    San. She's old enough to ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Sofi
    San. God I loved that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

They're all such strong, well developed characters, it's really a testament to how great Ghibli movies are. The really sad thing, though, is that I'm sitting here in work, seriously weighing up the pros and cons of each character.

I think I've narrowed it down to three(but I keep on thinking of pros for the other characters)

Nausicaä I respect because she had leadership qualities mixed with compassion and understanding.

Chihiro (Sen) comes under a whole different spate of pressures, making the transition from whining brat to someone who takes responsibility.

San...oooh...yeah...pivotal in the eternal conflict of man and nature - sides with nature against humanity - has that kind of 'loner-dark-charm' about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Sofi
    San. She's old enough to ****.

and would I?! ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Shizuku
    Nausicaä. Easy choice :)

Advertisement