Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Suspended Wooden floors...What to do

Options
  • 26-04-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

I've an old cottage that I am doing up and all the floors are suspended. I was just going to replace the old boards(these are in bits after being lifted numerous times for new plumbing wiring etc) with new 8X4 sheets of 3/4" ply. But upon inspection today I noticed that the joists were only 4X2 and there was no subfloor underneath only muck and rubble, ideal for insects etc. The span on the joists isn't huge as they are supported in the centre of the room be a few courses of brick.
    My question is should I just replace the boards and carry on as if nothing happened or should I fill them in with hardcore and concrete or should I do something else
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

If the walls at the edge are good -you could put hangers in there and put 9" timber in line with old floor.

These could be put in every few feet instead of along side every old 4" one.

Someone may give better info on how these hangers can be best placed.

karl.

Advertisement