Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolishment of British Parliament

Options
  • 26-04-2006 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

I was going to put this in the politics section but i think it deserves more attention than it will recieve there.

In England a bill was tried to be passed to abolish parliment, this is no joke this is for real.

What are they trying to do create a 1984esque goverment?
    find the details here:-

www.saveparliament.org.uk

It is an act that, while not removing parliament itself, removes all power from parliament and allows ministers effectively free reign over government and law
    They can pass, change and remove existing legislation, and no-one else gets a say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

so....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

jaggeh wrote:
    so....?

Its removing democracy from the country!

It's significant enough that it effectively makes the ministers dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

scary.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Somebody must be pulling your leg. Dont think it would get through anyway.

Over here with the Dail...thats another story. I can being debated some Monday morning with only two or three snoozing TDs present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Demetrius wrote:
    Somebody must be pulling your leg. Dont think it would get through anyway.

Honest to god, this isnt a hoax, they actually tried this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Just read the link there. Scary indeed, at least the way the website presents it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This is old news. They were trying to bypass the house of lords, not parliment.

Also the site isn't the best. Until you fully read the actual bill I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Heh, I'd be more concerned with the Prime Minister's effective ability to write the Constitution.

Hobbes wrote:

Well if thats simply the case It cant be all that bad. But then why bother removing the power of the House Of Lords? Since 1911 they have only the power to suspend a Bill and not Veto it. The HoL wouldnt have any reason to suspend a Bill in this day 'n age. Also the HoL is a strong British tradition and merly a talkshop but a talkshop of upper classes. I'd have to read the Bill itself rather then just that weblink.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sinn Fein have been working on this for years. ;)
    Grimes wrote:
    Also the HoL is a strong British tradition and merly a talkshop but a talkshop of upper classes.
    The Lords see it slightly differently themselves. Tehy see themselves as people who have been out in the world, rather then being professional politicians who have never worked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Abolishment? ABOLISHMENT?

:mad:

For the love of God...

Tell me this, do you ever open a book at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

You know I don't usually complain about misuse like that; but that got to me too. I was yelling "ABOLITION" in my head. But I think that's only because of the mis-spelling of Parliament as well.

ha just seen that now. Spell Checkers forum must be going mental :rolleyes: . But in all fairness they are very BIG words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

No it doesn't take legislative powers from the House of Commons. It seems to reduce their right to scrutinise ministerial decisions, but it does not set up a dictatorship. By the way the term is "abolition" not "abolishment". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well the best way to set up a dictatorship is to do it in inches instead of straight at once. Take a look at the US, its a dictatorship they just get to vote 1 of 2 dictators for the next four years. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

Hobbes wrote:
    Well the best way to set up a dictatorship is to do it in inches instead of straight at once. Take a look at the US, its a dictatorship they just get to vote 1 of 2 dictators for the next four years. :v:

I don't think the US is a dictatorship. The federal system of 50 states each with local control over the count - sometimes even controlled by separate counties - makes setting up a truly totalitarian dictatorial system extremely difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Hobbes wrote:

Also the site isn't the best. Until you fully read the actual bill I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Well,
    The bill as currently written allows a minister (subject to certain restrictions) to amend any prior act of parliament by order. It's simply ridiculous, it allows a bypass of the commons and the lords and they're trying to sneak it through a regulatory reform bill.

It Ireland such a thing would be completly unconstitutional, but of course over here not written constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Theres a post to save for a rainy day.

Advertisement