Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conferral Question

Options
  • 26-04-2006 6:36pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Do they separate people according to first, 2.1, 2.2 pass etc at the conferrals?

I really wouldn't like it if they did?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Red Alert wrote:
    Do they separate people according to first, 2.1, 2.2 pass etc at the conferrals?

As far as I know it's alphabetical in Arts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

he just says " bachelor of...........(insert degree) honours please stand and then ur names are called out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Was alphabetical order for science anyway, but if I remember correctly that was within all of the different types of degrees, so joint honours, single honours, topical etc. all went up as a group!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Was alphabetical order for science anyway, but if I remember correctly that was within all of the different types of degrees, so joint honours, single honours, topical etc. all went up as a group!
    What he said ^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Alpha-ma-betical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Alpha-ma-betical.
    Confer-a-ma-...doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

cona-ma-ferral;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Red Alert wrote:

Unless you got a first of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm sure it's his own modesty that's making him uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Pythia wrote:
    Unless you got a first of course.

Damn it, I should have gone up before the rest of the plebs :p

• Advertisement

If they actually do give the degrees out in that segregated manner dependant on your results, it will be quite a hairy experience would't you think? I'm sure the more subtle alphabetical method would be more welcome by the graduates (except for those with a first obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

The longest, most boring wait in your life as you watch 300 people walk to a podium to collect paper in alphabetical order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

scop wrote:
    The longest, most boring wait in your life as you watch 300 people walk to a podium to collect paper in alphabetical order.
    Dammit my surname begins with an S, so i'll be one of the last:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

IIRC, Arts is so huge it's split into three categories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

No worries Peader - its done alphabetically and by department. First the Ag and food types (turns out they do exist!), then the chems, then the civils, the elecs followed by the mechs. Then the masters followed by the phd's. Its completly alphabetical and grade doesnt come into it, but given your record I can't think why you'd be worried about that!

Ah, the joys of having a surname beginning with "B"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Blowfish wrote:
    Dammit my surname begins with an S, so i'll be one of the last:(

Snap.

R, Ú. Right at the end of the Rs too. The only person after me will be Xavier Xavierson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Blush_01 wrote:
    Snap.

R, Ú. Right at the end of the Rs too. The only person after me will be Xavier Xavierson!

I changed my name to Zachariah Zebrason III.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Hermione* wrote:
    IIRC, Arts is so huge it's split into three categories
    even with that it still takes an insanely long time.. there's like 500 people in a section or something. at least that's what it feels like. and even if you're at the start, you still have to wait while everybody else gets theirs.

getting to wear a horrendously silly hat if you're a girl is good fun though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

rain on wrote:
    getting to wear a horrendously silly hat if you're a girl is good fun though :)

Actually theres a question. Can you refuse to wear the hat?

I absolutely hate what it stands for (capping your education, i.e. going no further because you're a female.) and I'd really rather not wear it on the day.

Note that all this is assuming I manage to pass this year.
    :)

• Advertisement

I absolutely hate what it stands for (capping your education, i.e. going no further because you're a female.) and I'd really rather not wear it on the day.

yeah I had a friend who didn't wear it for the same reason, i don't think it was a big deal.
    i also hate what it stands for, but having already started a masters by the time i graduated gave me a bit of 'in your face, hat!' feeling. also i love silly hats. can't wait to wear another one at my MA graduation.

Yes you can refuse to wear the hat. I think the president is supposed to refuse to shake ur hand if you do, but certainly at my grad he shook all the girls hands, hat or not. I wanted to wear the hat....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I want to, but my mum gets upset about traditions and the 'proper' way to do things, and stuff, so I think I may actaully have to. But if I get a masters place (fingers crossed!), I might wear it for the 'in your face, hat!' thing. If I don't wear it, I can either try feeding Mum a 'it's so passe' line, or else get on to Dad about the inequalities of it, girls are just as intelligent as boys, etc and Dad'll do it for me ;)

irlrobins wrote:
    Yes you can refuse to wear the hat. I think the president is supposed to refuse to shake ur hand if you do, but certainly at my grad he shook all the girls hands, hat or not. I wanted to wear the hat....:(
    do you get to wear one at your PhD conferral? or is the implication that men are INFINITELY wise and knowledgeable?

Yea I think so. My mum keeps going on about "when do I get to see you in the lovely red robes?". :rolleyes: She hasn't a clue about what I do, just wants to be able to boost to her friends how I'm a Dr or something.

irlrobins wrote:
    Yea I think so. My mum keeps going on about "when do I get to see you in the lovely red robes?". :rolleyes: She hasn't a clue about what I do, just wants to be able to boost to her friends how I'm a Dr or something.
    cue witty 'what's wrong with me, doctor?' comments, Friends stylee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I think the hat rocks...but then I've always loved hats. none of the 8 girls in my class were very happy about the symbolism, but none wanted to upset parents either. So hats were held in hand, then put on last minute before the procession in, then taken off again on been seated, then put on again for going up to get the scroll and the processing out, then left off. (except for the official photo) Well thats what most off the other girls did - I left mine on cos I wasn't gonna let some ridiculous rumour thing like that stop me from wearing it, and as said before I like hats :) Its no big deal anyway ya just wear it if ya want and don't if ya don't and no one really cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

On a kinda related note, does anyone know when the Arts and Science graduation ceremonies are each on?

(Like, when were they on last year even? Even if you could give me a rough idea that'd be great!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Ucd Conferral Schedule
    Thats what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

A PhD's not the end, though, so if you're going for the next thing up (the name of which eludes me... it's just two letters anyway, takes about twenty years of research work to get or something) you could go without the hat when getting your doctorate!...

Advertisement