Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conferral Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Ucd Conferral Schedule
    Thats what you need.

Unfortunately, that's no help at all as it doesn't give any dates past November 2006 and I always thought that the conferring ceremony for Science was in December?

Any graduates able to help me out here? Roughly when are the arts and science graduation ceremonies on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Lisapeep wrote:
    Unfortunately, that's no help at all as it doesn't give any dates past November 2006 and I always thought that the conferring ceremony for Science was in December?

Any graduates able to help me out here? Roughly when are the arts and science graduation ceremonies on?
    arts is in early december, if i remember correctly. i think i graduated on like december 5th or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

After consultation ... the one after the PhD (in Science fields anyway) is the Doctor of Science (DS), which takes about twenty years to get hold of and is VERY selectively awarded on application by some universities. Seemingly the head of the postgrad Computer Science school (or one of those things anyway) applied for his from a British university last year and still hasn't gotten a full decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

After consultation ... the one after the PhD (in Science fields anyway) is the Doctor of Science (DS), which takes about twenty years to get hold of and is VERY selectively awarded on application by some universities. Seemingly the head of the postgrad Computer Science school (or one of those things anyway) applied for his from a British university last year and still hasn't gotten a full decision.
    iiinteresting. i was wondering the other day what the difference is between a Ph.D and a D.Phil.. maybe that's it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

rain on wrote:
    iiinteresting. i was wondering the other day what the difference is between a Ph.D and a D.Phil.. maybe that's it..
    heehee Dr.Phil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Scraggs wrote:
    heehee Dr.Phil
    Hilarious.:rolleyes:

Hey peachy, if you don't wanna wear the hat I will! Sure, I'm not going any further in my education anyway, so the "capping" would actually be accurate in my case...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

rain on wrote:
    do you get to wear one at your PhD conferral? or is the implication that men are INFINITELY wise and knowledgeable?

The big puffy mushroom hats are the PhD ones. Both women and men wear them.

Scraggs, I'm pretty sure they're the same thing. An M.Phil. is a multidisciplinary masters, isn't it? I know that all the Medieval Studies masters courses that are multidisciplinary are M.Phils anyway. And a PhD makes you a doctor of philosophy in <insert discipline here> as far as I know. At least that's what I was vaguely told at the Postgrad fair in the RDS. Therefore a D. Phil and PhD are the same (the Ph is from Phil, isn't it?).

Am I even vaguely on the right track?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Hats look so stupid on me. It's not my fault, it's just that every hat ever made is wrong, that's all.

Red Alert, as far as I know it's pretty soon after Arts breaks up for christmas, class-wise. My mum graduated from UCC on the day of my 21st, which was in December last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

The DS people get the same puffy hat as the PhD people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Can I wear my old army uniform? I think that would look nice and it's the only tie I have anyhow... and the Red Band Cap looks cool!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement