Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

John wrote:
    I own a tennis court that turns into a pool.
    &#231 wrote: »
    I own a tennis court that pulls back to allow a thunderbird rocket to launch.

Pffft.... Second rate stuff here.

My tennis court / pool / enormous fitness centre opens up to launch a massive Zeppelin, with concert-size speakers blasting out Ride of the Valkeries at top volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

My tennis court / pool / enormous fitness centre opens up to launch a massive Zeppelin, with concert-size speakers blasting out Ride of the Valkeries at top volume.

...I think you just won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

shay_562 wrote:
    ...I think you just won.
    Except that mine is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

That has absolutely no bearing on the competition. Show off :p

You just rained on my parade, you heartless bounder....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Formerly the BESS Thread. Now the Spam Thread.

shame on all of us. i blame the parents.

Ibid wrote:

So it can be deleted?

I'll delete you.

In an effort to get this thread back on track/to make up for the mildly insane post pof mine form earlier this week/'cos I found this while rooting through college stuff/to give advice.

Please please please, do not be the person/people that the below describes. It is annoying and then some rude and unless you have actually spoken from the podium in the Ed BUrke you don't realise how accurate this is.

What BESS don’t know about the Ed Burke.

“…and then she was loike sick all over his shoes…”

>>>Loike, OMG the lecturer can hear you too<<<

Now because most of BESS rarely venture towards the front of lectures, and rarer still actually speak to the lecturer at the podium, they never get the chance to admire the architectural wonder that is the Ed Burke. Its Loike, basically a, Loike, huge amplifier!! And as much as the lecturers voice is projected towards the often bleary eyed and usually selectively deaf members of BESS, their strangely American accented whispers of “Loike, OMG goys” resound down the theatre to grace the ears of the unfortunate educator!! And the uumpa lumpas, really believe that they go unnoticed. :o

“Loike OMG, some randomer is just loike, totally eaves dropping…”

Loike trés OMG we totally don’t want to know.

>>And yes when the lecturer asks for quiet, she’s talking to you<<<

• Advertisement

Now because most of BESS rarely venture towards the front of lectures
    Second row for that Maths lecture FTW.
    and rarer still actually speak to the lecturer at the podium
    I beg to differ! Me, Mattie and b.ie curious once even held a disco on the podium of the Edmund Burke Hall. Yes, Mattie turned on the scanner-projecter and placed his face under it to look like a DJ while b.ie put some Pink single on in the CD player. I provided the dancing.

Here's a hint for all BESSturds, just shut up during lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ibid wrote:
    i never realised there was a difference.........

Ibid wrote:
    Second row for that Maths lecture FTW.

I beg to differ! Me, Mattie and b.ie curious once even held a disco on the podium of the Edmund Burke Hall. Yes, Mattie turned on the scanner-projecter and placed his face under it to look like a DJ while b.ie put some Pink single on in the CD player. I provided the dancing.

Here's a hint for all BESSturds, just shut up during lectures.

The post was qualified. MOST. There's always one, and in this case its one odd couple and a half.

Ibid wrote:

Now that's a mental image that I'll find very hard to get rid of....

So, lads, Monetary&Welfare or Mathematical Economics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lizzyp

whats the typical timetable 4 1st year in bess??

Ibid wrote:
    So, lads, Monetary&Welfare or Mathematical Economics?
    After talking to few people in the real world, I think I've decided to go for what will make me money rather than what I think will be easy. M&W is definately up for the chop.
    Second row for that Maths lecture FTW
    FTW? IIRC, you were quite mortified following that experience.

Troglodyte wrote:
    Now that's a mental image that I'll find very hard to get rid of....
    What? A man dancing? Its not a particularly distressing thing to witness. I would find listening to Pink more objectionable myself.
    lizzyp wrote:
    whats the typical timetable 4 1st year in bess??
    I think its something like 20 hours a week.
    Now because most of BESS rarely venture towards the front of lectures, and rarer still actually speak to the lecturer at the podium, they never get the chance to admire the architectural wonder that is the Ed Burke. Its Loike, basically a, Loike, huge amplifier!! And as much as the lecturers voice is projected towards the often bleary eyed and usually selectively deaf members of BESS, their strangely American accented whispers of “Loike, OMG goys” resound down the theatre to grace the ears of the unfortunate educator!! And the uumpa lumpas, really believe that they go unnoticed.
    While I agree with the sentiment of your post, the constant characterisation of BESS students as air-heads is really beginning to annoy me.

To be fair, you have no way of proving that his isn't.
    Ibid wrote:

...during a Maths lecture? 'Cause that'd be impressive.
    I would find listening to Pink more objectionable myself.

So then which of you provided it?
    While I agree with the sentiment of your post, the constant characterisation of BESS students as air-heads is really beginning to annoy me.

Maybe it's just that I see every random idiot who shows up for a lecture in BESS while my interactions with people in other courses is limited to the society/sports-heads (who tend, by definition, to be more active and less slacker-y) but the vast majority of the air-heads I've encountered in college have been in BESS. To suggest that it's true of all BESS students is unfair, yeah, but I genuinely think the course attracts far more than its fair share of bleach-blonde-D4-posh-school-fake-accented-rugby-heads/rugby-hangers-on.

shay_562 wrote:
    To be fair, you have no way of proving that his isn't.
    Are you sure you're trying to be fair?

So then which of you provided it?
    I find myself quite an objectionable person.

Maybe it's just that I see every random idiot who shows up for a lecture in BESS while my interactions with people in other courses is limited to the society/sports-heads (who tend, by definition, to be more active and less slacker-y) but the vast majority of the air-heads I've encountered in college have been in BESS. To suggest that it's true of all BESS students is unfair, yeah, but I genuinely think the course attracts far more than its fair share of bleach-blonde-D4-posh-school-fake-accented-rugby-heads/rugby-hangers-on.
    It most likely does, but I don't need it thrown in my face everytime someone has a conversation about BESS. As a BESStard, a D4head and a rugby fan I get this sh*t a lot.

• Advertisement

Are you sure you're trying to be fair?

I'll be honest with you; I'm trying to skew things in the general direction of the zeppelin. Can you blame me?
    I find myself quite an objectionable person.

As do most people, I'm sure.
    It most likely does, but I don't need it thrown in my face everytime someone has a conversation about BESS. As a BESStard, a D4head and a rugby fan I get this sh*t a lot.

Meh. If you know the worst parts of the stereotype don't apply to you (and the last time I saw you, you weren't bleach-blonde, orange or a complete and utter ****wit), then take the slaggings in the good-natured way they're intended. Or you could take your mind off people mocking you for being over-privileged with a nice game of tennis on your private court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lizzyp

the timetable online for last year on the tcd website is a bit hard 2 understand... anyone remem what hours you did? ie 9-4 everyday/do u get a day off/half days???

cheers,
    pads

shay_562 wrote:
    As do most people, I'm sure.
    I know you are, but what am I?

Meh. If you know the worst parts of the stereotype don't apply to you (and the last time I saw you, you weren't bleach-blonde, orange or a complete and utter ****wit), then take the slaggings in the good-natured way they're intended. Or you could take your mind off people mocking you for being over-privileged with a nice game of tennis on your private court.
    Ah. So the sins of a BESStard are stratified with regards to their importance. Its OK to be from Ballsbridge and like rugby, but if you bleach your hair you deserve to be slagged.

I don't mind people slagging me off for being from Ballsbridge. I do mind people slagging off an entire course full of people on the basis of an exaggerated stereotype.

And you don't need to be posh to be privileged.

lizzyp wrote:
    the timetable online for last year on the tcd website is a bit hard 2 understand... anyone remem what hours you did? ie 9-4 everyday/do u get a day off/half days???

cheers,
    pads
    As I said, its something like 20 hours a week. Can't remember exactly what my timetable was, but I can tell you that I didn't get any days off. You'd usually do between four and five hours a day, but some days will be more arduous than others. Classes can be any time twixt nine and six.

jesus arn't we a bit self centred there? ye'd think no other course in the world gets slagged off.........

jesus arn't we a bit self centred there? ye'd think no other course in the world gets slagged off.........
    Can't think of one that gets slagged off more in Trinity. I can't speak on college courses around the world, though.

Also, whenever I meet people who did business in ITs or places like UL, they all love having a go at BESS.

Commerce kids are cool, though. One of them told me this little gem:
    Q:What does a BESS student call a Commerce student?
    A:Boss

Can't think of one that gets slagged off more in Trinity. I can't speak on college courses around the world, though.
    You don't think your opinion of said slagging might just be a teeeeny bit biased?

Try computer science people, probally getting abuse most of their lives over being computer nerds. not to mention the various slaggings and stereo typings that go on wrt their course aswell. I slag crash_000 all the bloody time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

Also, whenever I meet people who did business in ITs or places like UL, they all love having a go at BESS.

Answer to them... your in an IT! and UL...where?
    Commerce kids are cool, though. One of them told me this little gem:
    Q:What does a BESS student call a Commerce student?
    A:Boss

HAHA! good one. 2nd year commerce maths=1st year BESS. etc. etc.

Nah you're wrong Ian, BESS certainly gets more slagging.

• Advertisement

You don't think your opinion of said slagging might just be a teeeeny bit biased?
    Of course my opinion might be biased. But I still think I have right to be a bit annoyed at said slagging.
    Try computer science people, probally getting abuse most of their lives over being computer nerds. not to mention the various slaggings and stereo typings that go on wrt their course aswell. I slag crash_000 all the bloody time.
    In fairness, nobody ever sees comp sci people. They spend all their time on computers. And I how to I know you wouldn't slag cras_000 regardless of what course s/he does?

Advertisement